A&H

Corners and Free Kicks

Criticism can be quite helpful considering how little experience I have! I personally agree with you and not actually sure why my mentor/assessor gave me that advice. I think I need to sit down and get my head around it with diagrams or something:hmmm:

The Referee Store
I stand on the edge of the box near side to where the corners being taking - I then look into the box for any fouls, effectively looking away from the kick being taken - I don't need to see the kick taken? Just use my proliferal vision incase it's taken short

I learned this from Collinas Master class

@BenH101 if you are starting off with youth games, remember to take in to consideration their age: the younger they are the less strength they have and therefore the drop zone for the ball is likely to be on their side of the goal. For U11's, I've positioned myself off the FOP at the edge of the six yard box when needed, to get the best view. Likewise for goal kicks, the younger they are the closer you will need to be to the keeper taking the kick. But also importantly, take a mental note of the player/GK and their strengths when they take corners/goal-kicks, and you can update your position accordingly on later kicks.

@BenH101 if you are starting off with youth games, remember to take in to consideration their age: the younger they are the less strength they have and therefore the drop zone for the ball is likely to be on their side of the goal. For U11's, I've positioned myself off the FOP at the edge of the six yard box when needed, to get the best view. Likewise for goal kicks, the younger they are the closer you will need to be to the keeper taking the kick. But also importantly, take a mental note of the player/GK and their strengths when they take corners/goal-kicks, and you can update your position accordingly on later kicks.
Yeah that's something the assessor said because starting off, for goal kicks, I was outside the centre circle in the opposition half and the ball was barely getting out of the penalty area! I'll bear your advice in mind when I next have a game

The most important thing in a game of football is a goal being scored. So with only club assistants, I would want to be in a position to judge if the ball crosses the line. Should the ball be booted upfield, a quick sprint should put you back in a good position.

It's pretty much all been said, but the bottom line is that there is no straight answer. In my head I'm trying to plan for the following decisions, in this order: goal/no goal, penalty/FK (probably from a 'likelihood of goal being prevented/scored' perspective), breakaway to counter-attack, staying out of the attackers/defenders way. After the first couple I'm also thinking whether it's likely to go front post, pen spot, back post and adjust my starting position accordingly - and being prepared to move from there as soon as I have an idea where the ball is likely to land.

Like most, I've received directly conflicting advice from assessors on this pretty much every time I've been assessed - so as normal take any of this advice with a healthy pinch of salt!

Back