A&H

Corner scenario

Charlie Bruce

Level 6 Referee
Scenario -

Player A takes one of them corners where he says to his player B "come take this corner" and rolls it it a few inches, then player B comes along and runs with the ball into the box.

However opposition player C realises and runs over before B gets there but player A - after rolling the ball - then touches it again and crosses the ball because he knew player C was going to get the ball.

What would you do?

The Referee Store
This specific scenario wasn't discussed. He's made it easy for you when he makes the cross, if he was savvy he'd pull the ball back into the corner kick when he realised the ploy hadn't worked.

Corner has been legitimately taken therefore it's an IDFK for playing the ball twice.
This, playing the ball twice, same as if the ball comes back to the player who took the corner without anyone else touching the ball and the original corner kicker touches it.

It surprises me that anyone thinks that this "trick" is still clever or original and more. I guess I see it 2-3 times per season and never once has it worked to the advantage of the attacking team.

It surprises me that anyone thinks that this "trick" is still clever or original and more. I guess I see it 2-3 times per season and never once has it worked to the advantage of the attacking team.
I did last season. I was spectating at my son's game (U15) when the opposition tried said 'trick' and scored from the resulting play. As the game finished 4-3 to the opposition (after my son had had a perfectly good goal disallowed, too) and that team eventually won the league title after a 3-way playoff, I guess they think it was very worthwhile.

Every time I've seen it the team have always approached me pre-game to tell me they will do it at some point - happens probably 5 times a season and still surprises defending teams ...

I like inventiveness - don't see that much of it ... hope to see some more new stuff this season :)

Err, no-one has said HOW the ball was rolled - kick with the foot or by hand.

in my head i have someone bending doen with hand on the ball and foot next to it, calls over player B and say his piece and the ball shoots out to him.

If by hand - well its not come into play so back we go.

By foot , ee previous discussions

Scenario -

Player A takes one of them corners where he says to his player B "come take this corner" and rolls it it a few inches, then player B comes along and runs with the ball into the box.

However opposition player C realises and runs over before B gets there but player A - after rolling the ball - then touches it again and crosses the ball because he knew player C was going to get the ball.

What would you do?
According to the LOTG and the aforementioned thread it is a mandatory caution for verbally distracting the opponent.
If you have been told by a team before a game that they are going to do this it would be remiss not to inform them that verbal distraction of an opponent is a mandatory caution.
However, many casual players do not realise that shouting "mine", "wah", "ah" or "blah" is a cautionable offence. So common sense is in order. Every few games I get this - usually a defender trying to put off an attacker. If it is blatant and severe I will give a free kick the first time it happens and make sure both captains know that it is typically a mandatory caution. If it is not so severe I will warn the player quickly at the next available opportunity and make sure players from both teams hear the warning. Any further verbal distractions are a caution. I think this is proportionate and fair. Hopefully it makes it easier for the next ref.

According to the LOTG and the aforementioned thread it is a mandatory caution for verbally distracting the opponent.
If you have been told by a team before a game that they are going to do this it would be remiss not to inform them that verbal distraction of an opponent is a mandatory caution.
However, many casual players do not realise that shouting "mine", "wah", "ah" or "blah" is a cautionable offence. So common sense is in order.
Sorry Santa, but got to disagree with you here. Taking the 2nd point first, calling or shouting such things aren't a caution unless they are solely done to deceive an opponent, it's no where near as black and white as you've tried to present it.

On the specific corner routine, I presume you mean the reference to verbal distraction on p125. I simply don't see how a communication to a team mate like this would qualify as distracting an opponent.

Sorry Santa, but got to disagree with you here. Taking the 2nd point first, calling or shouting such things aren't a caution unless they are solely done to deceive an opponent, it's no where near as black and white as you've tried to present it.

On the specific corner routine, I presume you mean the reference to verbal distraction on p125. I simply don't see how a communication to a team mate like this would qualify as distracting an opponent.
Apologies. I should have said "players do not realise that shouting "mine", "wah", "ah" or "blah" ***to deceive an opponent*** is a cautionable offence". I thought it was clear in context.
I am very confused as to how you don't see a player shouting "come take this corner" so the opponents will hear it and ignore that the player has just taken the corner as not deceiving an opponent. We are on different planets with that one. The whole point of the routine is to deceive the opponent otherwise they wouldn't be doing it (and, in other examples, asking about doing it before the game) ...bangs head!

...and it is very clear when a player shouts "argh" "wah" or "bah" to put someone off when they are about to shoot, or about to bring down a high ball. Agreed that "mine" and "leave it" are very common and, in my humble experience, usually said to teammates and very rarely deliberate attempts to deceive...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very confused as to how you don't see a player shouting "come take this corner" so the opponents will hear it and ignore that the player has just taken the corner as not deceiving an opponent. We are on different planets with that one. The whole point of the routine is to deceive the opponent otherwise they wouldn't be doing it (and, in other examples, asking about doing it before the game) ...bangs head!

Well if a player is shouting "come take this corner" to a team mate. When his team mate runs over then plays the ball out give an indirect freekick against him for playing the ball twice before it has been touched by another player or an opponent?

I can't see the need for a caution.

Apologies. I should have said "players do not realise that shouting "mine", "wah", "ah" or "blah" ***to deceive an opponent*** is a cautionable offence". I thought it was clear in context.

Except that the law doesn't say "deceive an opponent", it says "distract an opponent". I don't think that shouting "come take this corner" can be classed as a distraction.

Apologies once again. I think the pedantry is positive. I also think that the statement still stands with that correction.;)

I should have said "players do not realise that shouting "mine", "wah", "ah" or "blah" ***to verbally distract an opponent*** is a cautionable offence". I thought it was clear in context.
I am very confused as to how you don't see a player shouting "come take this corner" so the opponents will hear it and ignore that the player has just taken the corner as not distracting an opponent. We are on different planets with that one. The whole point of the routine is to distract the opponent otherwise they wouldn't be doing it (and, in other examples, asking about doing it before the game) ...bangs head!

I believe in this context a distraction is something that momentarily puts an opponent off. Shouting "bang" as a player is about to shoot causing him to miss, calling "leave it" when behind an opponent causing him to do just that for example (and also note that the law is not "attempts to distract" the distraction has to occur). Saying "come take this corner" does not distract the opponents, if anything it draws attention to the taking of the corner. It may well deceive them but that is not against the LOTG.

We seem to have gone off track from the OP. However, distraction is distraction and if it is clear that the taker has tried to verbally distract his opponents with a trick corner and in fact DOES cause distraction to an opponent (the only important part I guess), then I would say there is an offence. Would need to be blatantly obvious what he has done, mind.

Let's mix it up a little - Attacker does the trick corner and a switched on defender has followed the second attacker over towards the corner; you shout to stop him encroaching (like the good proactive referee you are!) only to realise that this trick to happen... you have been verbally distracted/tricked and caused the defenders a disadvantage by shouting at him not to encroach! Would you let that go?

Back