A&H

Contact and simulation

one

RefChat Addict
Had a game last week. Attacker with ball posession takes a swan dive in the PA after clear contact on his leg. It was by a defender running side by side challenging for the ball. For me it was clear fair contact. It was also very clear it did not cause the attacker to fall. The attacker deliberately took a dive to get a penalty. Everyone had seen the contact and also seen the dramatic dive. I blew the whistle and I could see everyone looking at me to see which way I was going to give it. I pointed for a defensive free kick and cautioned the attacker.

The player could not comprehend when I told him he can still be cautioned for a dive even if there was contact.

Have you ever cautioned for simulation after contact? On TV I often see these either ignored or given as a penalty (which could explain the caution player's reaction).

The Referee Store
They are tough sells. I'm usually looking for the attacker initiating the contact.

I think it is incredibly difficult to judge if contact causes a fall or not (caveat = in most cases) as there are a lot of factors that impact the body's ability to remain on feet, especially when contact is unexpected or interferes with the body's running mechanics.

That said, you were the referee and if you felt he was trying to deceive you into thinking something had happened, that had not, then simulation it is.

Only ever cautioned for it once. So ridiculously obvious as well. Slight contact on the attacker (from behind) in terms of a nudge in the back but this guy decided to swallow dive about 4 feet away from the nudge, complete with agonised shriek to add to the effect!! :rolleyes:

When I blew the whistle, I doubt any individual on that pitch figured that it was going to be for anything else other than USB (simulation). Even his own team mates were deriding him and shaking their heads. :cool:

Reactions: one
A big hand gesture and screaming "get up" seems to be quite embarrassing punishment at grassroots.

Seen quite a few referees do that in response to appeals for a FK several times during a match and I get why they do it but I've never liked it or done it myself.

There's something a bit provocative and perhaps disrespectful in it (?) I suppose it depends on the individual referee's character, manner and how he actually does it but ... not for me. :)

Seen quite a few referees do that in response to appeals for a FK several times during a match and I get why they do it but I've never liked it or done it myself.

There's something a bit provocative and perhaps disrespectful in it (?) I suppose it depends on the individual referee's character, manner and how he actually does it but ... not for me. :)

i agree and have also seen it have the effect of agitating the player leading to dissent

It will come as no surprise to you all, that I've cautioned for simulation (in the PA) numerous times. Five in four years, no less
On every occasion, I found that I earned respect and it was beneficial for MC. I'd recommend taking no nonsense to all Referees!

It will come as no surprise to you all, that I've cautioned for simulation (in the PA) numerous times. Five in four years, no less
On every occasion, I found that I earned respect and it was beneficial for MC. I'd recommend taking no nonsense to all Referees!

You're dead right there BC.

(Nothing surprises us about you). 😁

They are tough sells.
It wasn't that hard to sell in this occasion. No questions were asked on why it wasn't a penalty. Just that how can it be a card when there is contact. The captain asked the same at the end of the game.

Not something you want to over-use as you say. And in the wrong heated game, done disrespectfully, could easily backfire. Like any gestures or communications, needs to be sensitive to context.

Back