A&H

Conscience question

Andi Keats

Today I referee'd a game where the home team where absolutely impeccable, the captain made sure his team where positive throughout and there was zero back chat from any decision I made.... However the team they where playing where below average academically and mentally.

Obviously there were safe guarding issues which where dealt with but I had to caution 4 players fir discount and eventually send 3 players off for OFFINABUS. I will obviously report them using the normal misconduct report, however I am undecided whether to write an extended report on thus as the match was abandoned as the manger came onto pitch and said 'sorry, that's enough'.

The home team, as I said, where incredibly respectful and I will write a note adding the FA of this but should I write an advise of the foul and abusive language used and general bullying of how the game was played by the away teams own players?

The Referee Store
In my opinion if the game came to a quick conclusion as the manager took his players off, then yes, the league/CFA need to know about it

Your last point, i would indeed write the note, commending the home team, but leave out the OFFINABUS etc, as that should be reported elsewhere

Today I referee'd a game where the home team where absolutely impeccable, the captain made sure his team where positive throughout and there was zero back chat from any decision I made.... However the team they where playing where below average academically and mentally.

Obviously there were safe guarding issues which where dealt with but I had to caution 4 players fir discount and eventually send 3 players off for OFFINABUS. I will obviously report them using the normal misconduct report, however I am undecided whether to write an extended report on thus as the match was abandoned as the manger came onto pitch and said 'sorry, that's enough'.

The home team, as I said, where incredibly respectful and I will write a note adding the FA of this but should I write an advise of the foul and abusive language used and general bullying of how the game was played by the away teams own players?

Sorry...you'll have to explain this to me a bit more......since when did we, as referee's, get to pass judgement on players academic or mental capabilities?

I think for safeguarding issues it's imperative that we as referees make sure the safe play for all concerned. I wasn't passing judgement just asking a question

I think for safeguarding issues it's imperative that we as referees make sure the safe play for all concerned. I wasn't passing judgement just asking a question

No....you made a statement that the away side were " below average academically and mentally."

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

From their speech, actions, the manger's chat to me and advice

Right...so you took the available information and made a "judgement" about them.

Nothing intrinsically wrong with that.......we all do it, every game.

However, did it affect how you refereed the game?

Out of interest, why did the manager feel the need to stop the game?

It didn't effect they way I referee'd as that would have been unfair to the opposition, the game and to them.
The manager stopped the game to get his players together to speak to them, there was 10 minutes to go in a friendly and afterwards he apologised and said thank you.
I wasn't privy to the speech he gave them, however every player came up to me afterwards and shook my hand and apologised.

So, the manager decided to take his players off?

As it was a friendly....was it affiliated?

Also, as a friendly, would it not have been a better step to consult with the other manager and simply end the game with mutual consent? I know that may not be entirely correct according to LOTG......however it may have been the Law 18 route.

What age group was this?

It was affiliated. And yes it was their managers decision.
I was going to do that before their manager came on but didn't have the chance to be honest, was my first abandonment so I guess with hindsight I could have handled it better.
Was under 18's
I think if this happens again I will be more prepared after this one

Personally....i would be very tempted not to bother with the abandonment report.......by all means put the cards through.....but surely you ended the game with mutual consent?

Or are the managers likely to scupper that for you?

Actually, just noticed another bit of interest....what safeguarding issues were there?

Both managers were fine with the ending.
The safe guarding issues were from comments from off the field and on from their supporters and players.

Not sure how you translate comments on and off the FOP as "safeguarding issues"?

You must have "safeguarding issues" at every youth match then?

Are you sure you are not getting "safeguarding" mixed up with "RESPECT"?

Safeguarding is primarily centred around the correct recruiting procedures and how to handle "disclosures"....not CRB's but what happens when a child comes out with an allegation. As an all encompassing umbrella "safeguarding" is all about creating a "safe environment" for kids to enjoy their football.
The RESPECT code and campaign is that theory put into practice......so unless the comments were unusually abusive or bullying, you have a RESPECT problem.

IMHO far too many people cry "safeguarding" or "child protection" when actually they mean "common sense" or "RESPECT".
We have a situation at the club my son plays for, where they have apparently been told that because of "safeguarding" teams can no longer publish a photograph with the childs name on it. This has come from our new CFA Welfare Officer.....despite the official FA Safeguarding policy stating that if photo consent forms are signed then publishing is perfectly ok with a childs name. And certainly in my sons team, all the parents have signed consent forms!

There are always going to be comments from the spectators and other players......always. 99% of the time it is background static to me......occasionally a word or phrase will tweak the "crossing the line" sensor and i'll do something about it......be it speak to the player or manager or something stronger...never ever engage with spectators.....a battle you can't win.

I have seen numerous times, kids getting under pressure in a game because their dad/uncle/mum etc is on their back from the side.....not my job to sort that out....thats down to the manager.....i might have a quiet word with the manager along the lines of "your number X was playing well till that bloke started shouting at him...." or occasionally might have to be a bit more direct...but try not to!

I have seen numerous times, kids getting under pressure in a game because their dad/uncle/mum etc is on their back from the side.....not my job to sort that out....thats down to the manager.....i might have a quiet word with the manager along the lines of "your number X was playing well till that bloke started shouting at him...." or occasionally might have to be a bit more direct...but try not to!
thats getting involved all be it indirectly and as a referee we all have a duty of care to the players.

thats getting involved all be it indirectly and as a referee we all have a duty of care to the players.

Yes, but it's not necessarily a "safeguarding" issue per se.

Actually...do we have a duty of care to the players beyond the FOP? Or is that the managers/club's responsibility?

Back