A&H

Complete Mind Blank

KentRef

Level 6 Referee
I had a situation on ~Sunday morning and couldnt for the life of me figure out whether what id done was right or wrong. U15 age group and red defender passes back to his own keeper. Keeper attempts to clear upfield but ball hits a bobble and all he manages to do is send the ball flying straight up (not that it matters, but ball never left the penalty box). Attacker starts moving towards the ball, and the keepers instinct is to punch the ball behind for a corner. I blew up and awarded an IDFK to the attacking team as the only thing i could equate it to would be if the ball was passed back and the keeper chipped it up into his own hands. Red manager asked me after the game why i gave the IDFK and not the corner and that was the only thing i could come up with, which he seemed satified with. Still have absolutely no idea if i was right or not.

The Referee Store
Think you're absolutely right here. I had a similar incident where after a pass-back the keeper scuffed his kick and the spin brought it back to him after it bounced. He then picked it up and I blew for the IDFK. LOTG clear that the keeper cannot use his hands in any way in a situation where the ball is deliberately passed to him by a team-mate.

Not entirely sure, but I think I'd have gone with a corner in this situation. As the ball has bobbled, it wasn't a deliberate attempt to circumvent the laws by the keeper. Had he picked it up, I think I would've gone IFK.

Like I say though, I'm not 100% sure. :)

Edit: Oops! Happy to be proved wrong! :hmmm:

Last edited:
What does the good book say? ;)

You made the correct decision. The ball was kicked to the goalkeeper deliberately for him to clear. It's just unlucky that it's taken a bobble and gone skywards.
  • touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate

Correct decision. Why the keeper decides to handle the ball is irrelevant (as long as the ball is in his own penalty area)

Correct decision. IDFK where the keeper handled it (or parallel etc...) for handling the ball after being deliberately kicked to him. As others have said, just unlucky/unfortunate. Of course, if you thought he had "scuffed the kick" on purpose (and had then caught the ball rather than punching away), it would have been a mandatory caution as well (for attempting to circumvent the law).

What does the good book say? ;)

You made the correct decision. The ball was kicked to the goalkeeper deliberately for him to clear. It's just unlucky that it's taken a bobble and gone skywards.
  • touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate

Spot on for me too.
The GK doesn't have to pick it up. Just touch it.

Although............the text from the LOTG does actually say "hands" (suggesting both of them?) whereas in this particular case the GK punched the ball with only one(?) :confused:

Just throwing it out there...... :hmmm:

Although............the text from the LOTG does actually say "hands" (suggesting both of them?) whereas in this particular case the GK punched the ball with only one(?) :confused:
Grasping+at+Straws.jpg

:D:D

Correct decision. IDFK where the keeper handled it (or parallel etc...) for handling the ball after being deliberately kicked to him. As others have said, just unlucky/unfortunate. Of course, if you thought he had "scuffed the kick" on purpose (and had then caught the ball rather than punching away), it would have been a mandatory caution as well (for attempting to circumvent the law).

Not true. An outfield player can be cautioned for trying to circumvent the so called "backpass" Law, not a goalkeeper. In fact, as it says in Law 12:

"Inside his own penalty area, the goalkeeper cannot be guilty of ...any misconduct related to handling the ball"

He can give away the IDFK, but you can NEVER card him (you can't card him for DOGSO handling either)

Not true. An outfield player can be cautioned for trying to circumvent the so called "backpass" Law, not a goalkeeper. In fact, as it says in Law 12:

"Inside his own penalty area, the goalkeeper cannot be guilty of ...any misconduct related to handling the ball"

He can give away the IDFK, but you can NEVER card him (you can't card him for DOGSO handling either)
Good point - so only an outfield player can be guilty - or rather booked - for circumventing.

I'm in Key Hackett's different phase of play team, he's kicks the ball, it wasn't his intention to handle it when kicking it, so corner.

Not entirely sure, but I think I'd have gone with a corner in this situation. As the ball has bobbled, it wasn't a deliberate attempt to circumvent the laws by the keeper. Had he picked it up, I think I would've gone IFK.

Like I say though, I'm not 100% sure. :)

Edit: Oops! Happy to be proved wrong! :hmmm:

Circumvention doesn't have anything to do with it. Was the ball kicked to him by a teammate? Did he handle it? That's all that's relevant. What the keeper does in between doesn't matter. Really, no different to him dribbling the ball around before picking it up.

Circumvention doesn't have anything to do with it. Was the ball kicked to him by a teammate? Did he handle it? That's all that's relevant. What the keeper does in between doesn't matter. Really, no different to him dribbling the ball around before picking it up.

As I said, happy to be proved wrong. Got myself totally mixed up by the looks of it! :oops:

Back