A&H

Communication

Southend-ref

Southend United Supporter
Level 6 Referee
Other than obviously with the flag, what are the best ways to communicate with the referee as an assistant when you don't have communication equipment or buzzer flags?

The Referee Store
I work with a certain referee a lot, and we have found discreet hand signals work very well, like a thumbs up or down etc

Yup, discreet signals.

For example:

If deciding a throw in, my flag is in the hand I would raise to indicate direction - but make eye-contact with ref first. He sees what I would give and either overrules or we both signal the same thing at the same time. If it is obvious, and ref doesn't need guidance, he signals I follow suit.

Flagging for fouls etc, after flag goes up and eye contact made, I either scratch the back of my left leg (Red Card) or under the arm that is raised with the flag (yellow card) or keep hand down (no card).

Keep regular eye-contact and you will very quickly learn to read what the other is about to do.

Yup, discreet signals.

For example:

If deciding a throw in, my flag is in the hand I would raise to indicate direction - but make eye-contact with ref first. He sees what I would give and either overrules or we both signal the same thing at the same time. If it is obvious, and ref doesn't need guidance, he signals I follow suit.

Flagging for fouls etc, after flag goes up and eye contact made, I either scratch the back of my left leg (Red Card) or under the arm that is raised with the flag (yellow card) or keep hand down (no card).

Keep regular eye-contact and you will very quickly learn to read what the other is about to do.
Thanks - I like the signals for cards - I'll have to use that. I was at a Southend match a couple of months ago and the referee got the yellow card out of his pocket, before being called over by the assistant referee who (correctly) informed him that the foul warranted a red card. The fact that the red had already got the yellow out of his pocket made the fans even angrier, but I'm amazed the assistant didn't tell him over the microphone that it was red. I

personally, I don't use signals for cards, it can lead to confusion, if the assistant forgets and has a itch on their leg or something, and itches, it can lead to an unneeded card, I get them to call me over so I know exactly what happened

I've been on the line to a referee before that wanted us to point to the colour on the flag (touchline quartered) for a red or yellow. Another wanted us to carry a red in our left shorts pocket and a yellow in the right and to actually poke the card out from the top of each pocket. Can't say I'd recommend either but each to their own I suppose

lol...as long as both you and the ref know what the signals are, there shouldn't be an issue. As for inadvertently scratching your leg, sounds a bit like scratching your ear at an auction, the ref would be looking at you, you maintain eye contact and signal, then there's no confusion.

Back