A&H

Coin Toss - YOUTH Games

I also coach an U12's team, and as our home pitch has quite a large slope, I ask my skipper to always play uphill first as I would rather we were playing downhill in the 2nd half when the legs are tiring. It's annoying if the ref asks my skipper if he would rather kick off instead.
Good heavens. I’ve never heard a ref ask that.

The Referee Store
I also coach an U12's team, and as our home pitch has quite a large slope, I ask my skipper to always play uphill first as I would rather we were playing downhill in the 2nd half when the legs are tiring. It's annoying if the ref asks my skipper if he would rather kick off instead.
Yes but.... (A bit of analytical thinking) Would your 11 year olds have tired legs in second half in the second half because you asked them the run uphill in the first half? ;)

Above is a moot point anyway as the amount of uphill and downhill running is pretty much equal in both halves. It's a matter of wanting to be faster in attack or in defence. Which makes no difference as your opponents run in the same direction and have the same advantage/disadvantage.

I dont go as far as asking that but on occasion, when it appears no odds which way round, and the captain has deliberated and is unsure, then for no obvious reason says, change ends, i have said " are you sure" not to question the captains right to change ends, but just to second guess me instructing the change round only for the captain to revert back to we just stay as we are

Adults/youth, it's all the same to me. Who ever wins the toss, I turn to them and say "Okay, so you've got choice of ends or kick off, but not both".

Seems to work. :)

Back