A&H

Club Marks

Just a point on Club Marks from a League Registration Secretary's point of view...

Every month I send a list of the club marks to the Referee Development Officer. He then looks at them; He is mainly interested in the Premier Division (Top division of five) marks, these have to be highlighted in red. Anything below Premier standard, although they are looked at, the main ones are the top games that you officiate on.

I can assure you that your club marks will not have too much of an affect on the games in which you are assigned to; For example, of the County Cup appointments here in Cornwall, only 2 of the top five referees (by mark) got a County final. The rest were the more experienced referees and academy referees. Even one of the lowest marked referees in the county got a league cup semi-final line.

Please don't get hung up on club marks! Only worry about them if your are consistently getting marked below 60 by each team that you officiate.

QB. I was also a referee appointment secretary. Instead of being asked to send club marks to the RDO to determine finals, we were instead asked to provide local area nominations for country finals. Whilst one would look briefly at club marks, so much more governs whether or not a referee would be nominated.

The biggest use of club marks are when local area referee committees receive below 50 mark reports / reports on referees, consistently for the same referee (consistently being the operative word). At this point, a mentoring / coaching scheme is initiated to support the referee - not castrate the referee.

The Referee Store
The biggest use of club marks are when local area referee committees receive below 50 mark reports / reports on referees, consistently for the same referee (consistently being the operative word). At this point, a mentoring / coaching scheme is initiated to support the referee - not castrate the referee.
Spot on; We have that exact issue at the moment with one of our newly qualified referees. Constantly being marked below 60, so he is being observed and mentored very frequently in order to bring him up to standard.

Did my first league game today...where do I actually find these mythical club marks. Is it on the whole game system?

Did my first league game today...where do I actually find these mythical club marks. Is it on the whole game system?
They will be collated by the Referee secretary/appointment officer who may or may not let u know at end of season.

Honestly though, not worth worrying about at your level.

Never ever cared about any form of club marks, had I had been bothered it would have spurred me for some fun in really p*ssing them off second time.. trying to be Mr Popularity wasn’t ever my strong point...

Don't worry about club marks, be a good referee and the marks will follow.

Refereeing for club marks will make you a poorer referee, and when your observed gives the observer lots to write about (not in a good way).

@Sheffield opinion is correct (and it pains me to say that) .

CM are a flawed system with no relevance to your performance whatsoever... Do your job correctly and as you improve and get experience better systems like Assessments from competent independent persons will kick in.... Any luck you may get Lincs22, he's took his time but he's slowly coming round to my way of thinking!! :angel:

Last edited:
Agree with others, don't worry about your club marks and you won't be given them until the end of the season. They are a necessary evil due to their not being enough observers and at the end of the day RefsSecs need some kind of idea as to who are the better and poorest referees on their league.

That said, make sure you don't do silly things off the pitch to affect your club marks. It should be an indicator of your on field performance only, but in reality clubs get a first impression of you from when you are appointed to the game. Things like not replying to the club secretary, making them chase you and / or the league, turning up to the game late, going out onto the pitch looking like you have been dragged through a hedge whilst still in your bed, etc, are all known to affect club marks. That 5 marks lost for forgetting to reply to the confirmation email could be the difference between having a cup final that season and going shopping with the other half on cup final day ... :)

Agree with others, don't worry about your club marks and you won't be given them until the end of the season. They are a necessary evil due to their not being enough observers and at the end of the day RefsSecs need some kind of idea as to who are the better and poorest referees on their league.

That said, make sure you don't do silly things off the pitch to affect your club marks. It should be an indicator of your on field performance only, but in reality clubs get a first impression of you from when you are appointed to the game. Things like not replying to the club secretary, making them chase you and / or the league, turning up to the game late, going out onto the pitch looking like you have been dragged through a hedge whilst still in your bed, etc, are all known to affect club marks. That 5 marks lost for forgetting to reply to the confirmation email could be the difference between having a cup final that season and going shopping with the other half on cup final day ... :)

Although in most cases it just highlights popular and unpopular referees.........

Which is why most grassroots league cup finals are always good fun to watch......see the referee with best club marks in the middle......and wonder at their ability to "manage" out even the most blatant of disciplinary sanctions......gaze in amazement at their incredible selective deafness, they hear the manager shouting for a sub from 60 yds away, but not the player giving them dogs abuse from 10.

Oh yes, club marks.....allowing the mediocre to referee cup finals for years.

No names but one lad in our league got a cup final quite a few years back. I'd watched him from parallel fields a few times and I wouldn't let him mind my kids never mind referee a cup final. He was very available to every team through pre season and in the season...
Not sure if he ever changed his batteries on his hearing aid but PF makes a good point.... He tended to get the friendlier teams so not much issues with the more challenging teams and the better competitive teams towards the top of the leagues so it was a cosy relationship..

Back