A&H

classic offside call

A&H International
Was watching it live and it sent the commentators into utter confusion. They, like so many people in football, think the ball has to be played forward for it to be offside.

That's what these guys get the big money for... If you know you know - and he knows.

We made a video of almost exactly this play for the introductory ref course for AYSO in the US. It is a great discussion play for understanding the core concepts of OS.

(AYSO is the largest youth program in the US, and the only organization certified by USSF to separately train and badge referees.)

So hypothetically, if there were 2 defending players on the goal line (imagine on the inside of each post), he would be onside?

For some reason it seems more complicated in my head than it actually is 😂

I'm a Plymouth ST holder and we had an offside against our player but touched the ball inside our own half. Stadium went into meltdown after the referee CORRECTLY pointed for the free kick to be taken inside the Plymouth half.

Was a nice humbling moment for the people around me when I told them he was correct, got fed up with their moaning about it :D

So for those who are struggling with it, could someone explain it in a better way than I could as to why the incident was offside.

Red 10 is closer to the goal line than both the ball and the 2nd last defender when is last played/touched by a team mate. He then commits an offence of becoming involved in active play by interfering with play i.e. playing the ball.
Yep, that exactly explains it.

Red 10 is closer to the goal line than both the ball and the 2nd last defender when is last played/touched by a team mate. He then commits an offence of becoming involved in active play by interfering with play i.e. playing the ball.
And here is a freez frame by VAR ☺️

Screenshot_20240820-190017.jpg

No offence

There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:
  • a goal kick
  • a throw-in
  • a corner kick
What got them (the uneducated) frothing was the above!

But as correctly pointed out, the No 10 (the guy taking the corner) is the one committing the offside offence.

Great spot lino!! 👍

Back