The Ref Stop

Chelsea v Arsenal (W)

The Ref Stop
Not 100% sure I’m giving the first as a yellow tbh.

Saying this without knowing any context and just watching that clip once.
Think that is specifically why they are trying to split the women's game and mens game officials apart.

It is a different game with the same laws but different tolerances.

So I agree with you all day, in a men's game, that push is absolutely nothing. But in the women's game it is more menacing.

Hoping @OnlyUseMeWhistle doesn't say I'm wrong hahaa

Think that is specifically why they are trying to split the women's game and mens game officials apart.

So I agree with you all day, in a men's game, that push is absolutely nothing. But in the women's game it is more menacing.

I think you’re spot on. My first WNL game I tried to give more contact, akin to a men’s game, and lost both teams faith by the end because it just made them all feel like I was letting it get scrappy.

So the tolerance is definitely lower, however I think given the ball is gone you could give a yellow in the men’s game for this. If they’re both jumping for a header it’s one of those you just give a FK for but there’s enough force for reckless there and it’s “off the ball” so also USB if you want an easy sell

Good grief, that is rubbish
I am tempting a glass house stone throw because whilst I've never done it, I'm wary of finding 'mistaken identity' in my locker
Oh I am very much a person throwing stones in a glass house as I did exactly the same in a Spartan South Midland step 5 game around 15 years ago. The assessor took some pleasure in telling me after the game that the player committing the offence was 6'2 and black and the player I cautioned was 5'9 and white, and I had to concede I'd made a mess of it. But I wasn't a FIFA badged official refereeing in the top division in a televised game, and the AR on the side that could have bailed me out was in his 70s and if he'd had a comms kit he would probably have just used it to order a McDonalds.

There's no hiding place when it is being televised.

Don't think that is the case at all. They are certainly trying to develop the standard of refereeing in the female game by using top female officials and not just allowing any male official to supplement that. It isn't that long ago that L5s not on any kind of promotion were officiating in the top levels of womens football, and they've now tightened that up.

But the laws are the laws, and if you let that push go unsanctioned in a mens game you are likely to face challenges going forward.

Back