A&H

Che V City

Because there’s more black and white behind the rules of cricket rather than in football where a lot of the decisions are up for debate.

And this is where we have the contradiction in football. It's only to be used to overturn decisions in instances of clear and obvious errors but this in itself is subjective. It works perfectly well for offsides (when the AR doesn't flag early) but as we have seen with the Madrid and City decisions in the last week or so, having VAR hasn't improved things in many situations.

We should look to other sports who've used technology for a long time to see how we can improve football VAR. Hawk Eye in cricket has never been 100% accurate, so they use the 'umpires call' to negate that inaccuracy. In rugby the ref instructs the video ref ie "can you give me any reason why I cant award the try" for example. Whether there's oppurtunity to introduce similar things into football is up for debate but I really struggled with the city decision last week, where if there was no VAR (and I'm.a fan of it!) Nobody would've batted an eye lid. Actually having VAR made that situation worse, particularly as the interpretation of handball differs across Europe, particularly in Spain..

The Referee Store
I felt that both tackles were such blatant SPA and not far off reckless, that it's a departure from the LOTG to turn a blind eye
More Church of Scientology teachings no doubt
I think the following wording from IFAB circular 11 is highly applicable here:
Where two separate cautionable (YC) offences are committed (even in close proximity), they should result in 2 x cautions (YCs)

In law I agree that it's two yellows. Unfortunately, that isn't "What football expects" and therefore it would never happen :/
That's because football expects referees to selectively apply the Laws of the game. Once a single Law is ignored or diluted, the standard of officiating descends into the ridiculous situation of referee promotion (around the world) being based on inevitably inconsistent teachings and competencies which cannot be properly aligned with Law

In law I agree that it's two yellows. Unfortunately, that isn't "What football expects" and therefore it would never happen :/
Except for the fact there are quite a few examples of this happening. not loads, but then I don't think this is a particularly common occurrence.

So if City had lost the KFPM it would be because football expects that they should have been playing 11 men rather than 9?

Except for the fact there are quite a few examples of this happening. not loads, but then I don't think this is a particularly common occurrence.

Defenders Who SPA and fail al2ays have a second bite or the cherry knowing that they'll only get one yellow.

Back