A&H

Change of sub rules 2 months in

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Our league have changed the format of the sub's from 3 from 5 to roll on roll off.

I took it as its any amount now as other leagues I'm on do this but this one line has confused me...

And got today's away side asking...

A club may at its discretion and in accordance with the Laws of the Game use substitute Players
in any Competition Match. A Club may name up to 5 substitute Players of whom not more than 5 may be used.

does this mean then that although a player off now becomes a sub himself, can they make a maximum of 5?
got me confused now

The Referee Store
Our league have changed the format of the sub's from 3 from 5 to roll on roll off.

I took it as its any amount now as other leagues I'm on do this but this one line has confused me...

And got today's away side asking...

A club may at its discretion and in accordance with the Laws of the Game use substitute Players
in any Competition Match. A Club may name up to 5 substitute Players of whom not more than 5 may be used.

does this mean then that although a player off now becomes a sub himself, can they make a maximum of 5?
got me confused now
Subs become players, players become substituted players, some or all of whom are subs to become players again; and the ref uses an abacus rather than the traditional notebook
It's a good idea tho 🤔

I'm amazed they got away with that, as you can't change league rules after games have been played. The rules have to submitted to CFA prior to the season starting and the league is then sanctioned, any rules changes have to be agreed by clubs at an AGM or SGM.

Look at the paragraphs around the one you've quoted. My local Sunday league rules say the same as yours, but the next paragraph then reads "A player who has been substituted himself becomes a substitute and may replace a player at any time..." - it's that clause that allows the roll-on-roll-off.

If they haven't included that bit and it simply says what you've quoted with nothing else, I would agree that this reads like 5 from 5, no return subs.

Look at the paragraphs around the one you've quoted. My local Sunday league rules say the same as yours, but the next paragraph then reads "A player who has been substituted himself becomes a substitute and may replace a player at any time..." - it's that clause that allows the roll-on-roll-off.

If they haven't included that bit and it simply says what you've quoted with nothing else, I would agree that this reads like 5 from 5, no return subs.
That is the first couple of paragraphs of the latest newsletter in relation to the rule change.

A Club may at its discretion and in accordance with the Laws of the Game use substitute Players in any Competition Match. A Club may name up to 5 substitute Players of whom not more than 5 may be used.
A Player who has been substituted himself becomes a substitute and may replace a Player at any time subject to the substitution being carried out in accordance with Law 3 of the Laws of Association Football.

I'm amazed they got away with that, as you can't change league rules after games have been played. The rules have to submitted to CFA prior to the season starting and the league is then sanctioned, any rules changes have to be agreed by clubs at an AGM or SGM.

A team I had today actually questioned it as being unfair as last week he had to go down to 10 men when a player went off hurt.
He said it could have cost him a point or all 3 (he did say by that point that they'd all but the final whistle had won the game as it was 6-0 at that point but could have been a different story if it wasn't as comfortable. Yet this week if their opponents had a guy go down hurt he'd be able to go off and a sub come straight on again, again costing him a point or all 3 as last week they were disadvantaged by a previous rule and this week disadvantaged by a change of that rule.

Supply league in our area has changed 3 from 5 to 5 from 7 mid-season.

Supply league in our area has changed 3 from 5 to 5 from 7 mid-season.

At that level they are definitely taking a risk. Only needs one club to complaint to the FA and I suspect they'll be in all kinds of problems. As has been said above, a club could have lost a game because they went down to 9 players though injury and couldn't replace the injured players as they'd used all subs, yet the same happens to their opponents after the rule and they can replace them. That just isn't fair.

At that level they are definitely taking a risk. Only needs one club to complaint to the FA and I suspect they'll be in all kinds of problems. As has been said above, a club could have lost a game because they went down to 9 players though injury and couldn't replace the injured players as they'd used all subs, yet the same happens to their opponents after the rule and they can replace them. That just isn't fair.
It came from the appointment officer so I can only assume it's been properly ratified.

Back