The Ref Stop

Champions League Final

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Dimarco staying down after that challenge, in a small heap, until the game actually comes to a stop.

As soon as it does, he sits up, moans and gets up with an instant recovery, despite acting dead for a minute.

It's acting like this that can make it harder for refs and also bring the abuse on refs as fans/managers start to think they must be seriously hurt for staying down so long.

Refs letting a lot go, making it a contest, but wonder if he will regret a high bar...

The Ref Stop
Dimarco staying down after that challenge, in a small heap, until the game actually comes to a stop.

As soon as it does, he sits up, moans and gets up with an instant recovery, despite acting dead for a minute.

It's acting like this that can make it harder for refs and also bring the abuse on refs as fans/managers start to think they must be seriously hurt for staying down so long.

Refs letting a lot go, making it a contest, but wonder if he will regret a high bar...
4O recording all lost time and adding every minute on. Only way forward. In the pipeline for next season? They'll soon realize the futility of wasting time and the top teams will win even more games than they already do. It's a necessary evil

Inter players taking every opportunity they possibly can to go to ground and the referee is falling for it every time. There’s been 2 occasions where players have gone down under no contact and won free kicks now

Reminded me of West Ham the other night.

Used all the added time, but 2-3 WH players staying down for 30s over multiple stoppages, but the clowns of commentators moaning about how ‘ooo this is well over, not sure where the ref is getting this time from’. Joke.

Inter players taking every opportunity they possibly can to go to ground and the referee is falling for it every time. There’s been 2 occasions where players have gone down under no contact and won free kicks now
The one just then was a shocking dive, difficult angle for the referee it seemed.

That dive in front of Foden was shocking and got a foul for it, yet I thought there was a foul on Martinez just before the one given on Grealish, and one on Stones before the one "by" Foden.

Most referees only dream of maybe getting a final once in their lifetime, to get both the World Cup & Champions League finals in little over 6 months is some achievement!

I know VAR can't get involved with that or other ones similar, but surely they can at least whisper in his ear and say they're diving so pay more attention.
If the VAR team is doing that, it's a massive violation of VAR protocol. VARs are only supposed to be involved when there is an officially a check and then they start communicating with the on-field referee crew.

Last edited:
I know VAR can't get involved with that or other ones similar, but surely they can at least whisper in his ear and say they're diving so pay more attention.
This isn't really that complicated and comes up time and again. The VAR to referee communication is only opened once there has been a decision or non-decision that needs checking. There is no option to "whisper in their ear".

Only 13 (now 14) comments by the following morning confirms to me the referee was excellent. He was also very good in WC final so it is no surprise.
Did he get every decision right? No! But, Show me a referee that does.
I think you might find the couple of dives he did award fouls for he probably gave as safe fouls and to show balance as to be fair he was really good at mostly not falling for the theatrics early doors (thinking Martinez). Sometimes you just have to find something for the team "not getting much" to keep them on side and based on team and player reaction to him he did that very very well.

Side note - 3 Italian teams all made it to the final of a European competition and not a trophy between them!!

I do think that is the problem with a high bar approach to fouls - blowing for a "safe foul" on minimal to no contact does stand out massively.

That definitely felt like the biggest issue he had, one incident in the second half where he applied the high bar for a City tackle and gave no foul. Then when Inter were clearly annoyed not to get the foul, he took the opportunity to give a very soft one against them to slow the game down. It needed to be done, but it does look like two very inconsistent decisions within 30s.

But yeah, the game didn't really give them any KMIs so therefore nothing majorly controversial at any point. Would be devastated to get that quiet a game on a 5-4 observation, but can't complain with referee getting to avoid the limeline in the CL final!

A few minor issues with telling players to arise after foul appeals but otherwise unusually acceptable for a non-English European official.

Just getting home...

Can't disagree with any of the above. I was a bit annoyed that he stopped play for a non-serious injury with City breaking. If City scored he'd be criticised but Inter pressed on the dropped ball and if Inter had scored he'd have been criticised for falling for a feigned injury.

City made up for it with some late injury attention...

The biggest compliment I can pay him is that I didn’t really notice him and that, aside for falling for some (seemingly) obvious dives and a slightly inconsistent high bar, I can’t think of anything remotely controversial. Nobody in the stadium was talking about him either, which is usually a sign that a ref is having a decent game.

I thought he was also excellent in the second leg v Real Madrid at the Etihad.

Back