A&H

Cautioning for Adopting An Aggressive Attitude

TheFoodieReferee

Level 5 Referee
Had a open age mens county cup yesterday morning that turned to be a bit on the fiesty side.

12 mins in, home side on the attack, around 10 yards from the edge of the penalty area and an away player practically rips the shirt off the back of the player in possession. Blow for a freekick and issue a caution to be met with 'it's my first one ref'. I just said you've stopped a promising attack, easy booking.

Around 5 minutes later, 2 players jump up for a header, they collide but there's nothing in it from either player as both are running and jumping with eyes firmly on the ball. They end up colliding and then there's some handbags after that I felt I'd managed by having a word with the pair of them and basically saying that any more of it, they'll be receiving a caution. I then said shake hands and calm down. Home player goes to shake hands, away player stands there staring him out as though he's some massive time boxer, to which I said 'come on Tyson Fury, settle down, it's been dealt with, leave it at that', much to the amusement of his manager and teammates. From here, it settles down for a few minutes but then again, the same away player is giving the home player a tirade of grief, just to try and get a bite out of him with some pretty horrific language. After a further few minutes pass, there's an offside which I've blown for, I've had a glance around behind me to make sure there's nothing untoward going on and low and behold, he's started going at the home player again. I've run down to where they are on the pitch, just to see him carry on his aggressive staring and spiel and got his captain to pull him away. I've then called him across to me with his captain, give him a pretty stern bollocking and issued a yellow card for AAA.

Queue the questions from his captain saying that I should just let it go and he's done nothing wrong etc. I just answered with he's already been warned about his conduct on the FOP and he hasn't listened which got through to his brain.

Game passed by from there with a couple of players kicking the ball away which got booked and then a last minute penalty shout from the away side which I've waved away as there was, from my angle, which happened to be to the left of the incident, the home defender has come sliding in to win the ball, won it and the away player has ended up kicking the bottom of the home players foot. Away manager going daft on the sidelines and then gave me a pretty crappy score of 60/100 whereas the home side gave me 90/100.

Anything any of you guys would do differently in this situation. On reflection, I could've probably had the away player off for OFFINABUS towards the other player, however, he didn't make any remarks to me regarding it and was satisfied with a yellow.

The Referee Store
Minor point, but don’t try and enforce a handshake in that initial situation. You might get it to work, but more likely to have the scenario you did, or they go for the Superman knuckle-crushers and it flares up from there.

But that’s really it, and as I say, minor.

Minor point, but don’t try and enforce a handshake in that initial situation. You might get it to work, but more likely to have the scenario you did, or they go for the Superman knuckle-crushers and it flares up from there.

But that’s really it, and as I say, minor.
65e08799a0504fa10817501943a3788b116a1291.gif

Edit: The gif isn't working, but it's Konte and Tuchel "shaking hands"

Had a open age mens county cup yesterday morning that turned to be a bit on the fiesty side.

12 mins in, home side on the attack, around 10 yards from the edge of the penalty area and an away player practically rips the shirt off the back of the player in possession. Blow for a freekick and issue a caution to be met with 'it's my first one ref'. I just said you've stopped a promising attack, easy booking.

Around 5 minutes later, 2 players jump up for a header, they collide but there's nothing in it from either player as both are running and jumping with eyes firmly on the ball. They end up colliding and then there's some handbags after that I felt I'd managed by having a word with the pair of them and basically saying that any more of it, they'll be receiving a caution. I then said shake hands and calm down. Home player goes to shake hands, away player stands there staring him out as though he's some massive time boxer, to which I said 'come on Tyson Fury, settle down, it's been dealt with, leave it at that', much to the amusement of his manager and teammates. From here, it settles down for a few minutes but then again, the same away player is giving the home player a tirade of grief, just to try and get a bite out of him with some pretty horrific language. After a further few minutes pass, there's an offside which I've blown for, I've had a glance around behind me to make sure there's nothing untoward going on and low and behold, he's started going at the home player again. I've run down to where they are on the pitch, just to see him carry on his aggressive staring and spiel and got his captain to pull him away. I've then called him across to me with his captain, give him a pretty stern bollocking and issued a yellow card for AAA.

Queue the questions from his captain saying that I should just let it go and he's done nothing wrong etc. I just answered with he's already been warned about his conduct on the FOP and he hasn't listened which got through to his brain.

Game passed by from there with a couple of players kicking the ball away which got booked and then a last minute penalty shout from the away side which I've waved away as there was, from my angle, which happened to be to the left of the incident, the home defender has come sliding in to win the ball, won it and the away player has ended up kicking the bottom of the home players foot. Away manager going daft on the sidelines and then gave me a pretty crappy score of 60/100 whereas the home side gave me 90/100.

Anything any of you guys would do differently in this situation. On reflection, I could've probably had the away player off for OFFINABUS towards the other player, however, he didn't make any remarks to me regarding it and was satisfied with a yellow.
"From here, it settles down for a few minutes but then again, the same away player is giving the home player a tirade of grief, just to try and get a bite out of him with some pretty horrific language. "

Maybe a caution here would have been good? Maybe a red if what was said was bad enough?

It can be difficult trying to manage stuff at that level as the players aren't always smart enough to realise you're trying to help them.

Only 2 things I'd say; the handshakes are always a big risk. If it comes off, it looks great. But if it doesn't, it can blow a fairly small issue into something bigger.

I wouldn't bother bringing the captain in if you're going to caution the player. If captain comes in, you're b*llocking the player via his captain, and that's that. The captain was probably expecting this was going to be the case. All that then happens is you have now got a 2v1 against you're whilst you try to issue the caution.

Do these scores bother those refs only looking for promotion or just refs in general? I couldnt give a fig myself but surely scores from disgruntled team officials cant count for much?

Do these scores bother those refs only looking for promotion or just refs in general? I couldnt give a fig myself but surely scores from disgruntled team officials cant count for much?
If you aren't going for promotion, then they don't count quite as much. However, if you're getting poor club marks every week, it's going to limit your chances of cup finals or the 'bigger' games.

There's the potential that it could also mean you being removed from the refereeing panel. It's unlikely due to most leagues struggling for referees, but certainly isn't impossible

There's also an element of pride......

If you aren't going for promotion, then they don't count quite as much. However, if you're getting poor club marks every week, it's going to limit your chances of cup finals or the 'bigger' games.

There's the potential that it could also mean you being removed from the refereeing panel. It's unlikely due to most leagues struggling for referees, but certainly isn't impossible

There's also an element of pride......
Like you imply,it's almost impossible to be taken off a list in most cases so I'd not worry too much as most refs have enough on their plate as it is. Besides,if the marks follow a general pattern 'low marks =l osing team and steady marks from winners' you don't have to be Sherlock to solve that one. If winning teams mark you down as well then that is a cause for concern.

Like you imply,it's almost impossible to be taken off a list in most cases so I'd not worry too much as most refs have enough on their plate as it is. Besides,if the marks follow a general pattern 'low marks =l osing team and steady marks from winners' you don't have to be Sherlock to solve that one. If winning teams mark you down as well then that is a cause for concern.
I wouldn't say it's impossible. When I was part of a league committee, we removed 2 officials from our panel for their continuous low marks. The low marks didn't just come from the losing team or because of the referees performance. They were a combination of turning up late, appearance and general conduct. The vast majority of referees turn up to do a good honest job. Unfortunately you will come across some who know that referees are a bit of a rare species, so they believe they can do as they please. One of the biggest pet peeves with this is referees turning up and refereeing in tracksuit bottoms or a jacket.

But as you say, if its always a low mark from losing club and a good mark from running club, it gives you an idea what is going on. Leagues will also know those clubs who consistently mark referees as poor (as well as good)

Last edited by a moderator:
It most definitely is not impossible. When I was a RefSec I stopped giving referees games and then didn't invite them back for the following season. Usually for non-refereeing issues like not confirming games with clubs, not replying to emails, consistently turning up late, etc. But a few were for performance reasons, if someone is continually getting marked under 60, or the lazy 61, by both clubs week in week out they clearly aren't up to the job. I always offered advice first, like ask for a mentor or apply for promotion, but if they ignore that then I'm backed into a corner.

Before I started, but the clubs forced the former RefsSec to stop using a particular referee by getting together and forcing an EGM. The motion was that the league could no longer appoint said referee to matches, and it was unanimously voted for (I was a manger in the league in the time and had seen first hand the chaos this referee caused).

Regarding SPA, especially if it's early on or a first offence, I say to players that the foul itself was just careless - no caution, but the situation means it's a mandatory caution. Add on the arms moving forward motion to emphasise an attack. Tell them you can't manage that one with a talking to.

Works for me every time.

"From here, it settles down for a few minutes but then again, the same away player is giving the home player a tirade of grief, just to try and get a bite out of him with some pretty horrific language."
If the language is so horrific - OFFINABUS, red card ? Player is obviously a complete idiot, provocative, inflaming other players - makes your job far more difficult. Personally, I would have 'got rid' of him.

Last edited:
Back