A&H

Caution/Send Off Technique

RegalRef

Politically Incorrect
This one will be interesting....

You blow to stop the game and decide to caution/send off a player.

What technique do you use and what do you say?

The Referee Store
"Player to me please, what's your name please fella. Thank you very much, I'm cautioning you for x. I don't want to see anymore or a second will follow. Thanks player" produce card

Sending off the same except I don't tell them they are being dismissed until i show the card

So many possibilities
I think you can't give all cards the same way, it will depends on the foul committed, how the game is going etc..
If I want to have a quick word with the player, i'll take him apart, speak and show the caution, however, sometimes you just have to show the card after blowing the whistle. The important thing is that it's clear for all players, staff and spectators which player you've cautioned, so if the foul was clearly made by one player, no need to take him apart if it's not to have a word.
And some other time, mainly in red situations, you want to show everybody that you saw what you saw and the red is coming, for a really gross SFP for example, I would take the red out of my pocket as soon as possible, it defuses the tension of the time where players will be wondering if you're going to show red or not, start to argue, get mad at each other etc..

Yachino is spot on with the depends on the offence comment.

I'm going to talk to player differently for a reckless tackle to what I am for a dissent or AA caution

With a caution I don't think it's a bad idea (sometimes) to make them aware they are being cautioned before anything else...making it clear can diffuse any further confrontation between player and yourself IMO.

However with sending offs, it is crucial to get the name before you make them aware of your course of action although you'd hope sometimes they realise (even if it's only 'deep down') they're walking!

1. Blow for foul
  2. Manage, if any of the players are injured, call the physio (man with a water bottle) on
  3. Isolate the offender maintaining a view of the main body of players (In nearly all cases - do not show a quick caution! This is a Premier League technique and we do not want to see it in grass-roots football - it is a competency to isolate the offender. There are some limited circumstances where it may aid you not doing this though - that debate is for another day)
  4. Carry out disciplinary action as necessary. What you say and do is up to you, and depends on context etc... (e.g. do you want to get the captain involved etc...).
  5. Manage the free kick where appropriate and get on with the game.
Pretty standard. Extra brownie points though?
  • As HantsRef said - telling a player that you will caution him (if he think he may be sent off) before taking his name can diffuse the situation. Likewise, if a player thinks he may be getting sent off, take his name first.
  • Show the card aloft, i.e. not in the players facer, and everyone can see it
  • Ensure that players do not undermine you by 'tying' up their shoe laces / sorting out their socks. Ensure you make a hand gesture as well as voice - so all involved know this is not acceptable
  • If a player tries to take the pee (in your opinion) e.g. my name is Michael Mouse - ask them to spell it. When spelling out this name, they may have a change of heart (or they may continue if their name is actually Michael Mouse)
  • Note down what time you caution a player. This is a common mistake, and this information is beneficial if you send off a player for 2 cautionable offences. Likewise, it is often beneficial to write the caution code next to it. I.e. 72/RP or 63/C3

Here in Ontario we're taught a fairly simple four-step procedure (each step can be adapted as needed, depending on circumstance, what the misconduct is, how many other players/people are around, etc):
  1. Whistle (stop the play, should be an obvious one)
  2. Isolate (as mentioned above, step away from the other players and the location of the incident. Don't make the player come to you, meet them in the middle. This is another thing that helps diffuse the situation.)
  3. Personal space (make sure you are at least arm's length from the player at all times, typically 3-4 feet is the recommendation. By staying out of their personal space, it's harder for them to swing at you, and you're also respecting their space by not getting into their face and potentially escalating the issue at hand.)
  4. Show (As noted above, the proper technique to display a card is to hold the arm vertically with the card held high, much like an indirect free kick signal. The player, at this time, knows exactly what card they are getting, the display is for everyone else -- the whole reason cards were invented... to inform the rest of the people involved in the game. Whatever you do, do not put the card in the player's face, and do not invade their personal space with your arm/hand/etc, as this can be misinterpreted as an aggressive gesture from you, and again, could escalate the situation.)

"Player to me please, what's your name please fella. Thank you very much, I'm cautioning you for x. I don't want to see anymore or a second will follow. Thanks player" produce card

Sending off the same except I don't tell them they are being dismissed until i show the card
Do you need the name. Don't you have a sheet with names > numbers?

@drahc can only think of one thing you (kind of) missed...ensure the player sees the card and hasn't turned his back!
Unless of course that's what you meant by everyone...?;)

Last edited:
Numbers rarely match! So always take name to be sure
Ok. In Norway (Oslo) team sheet is a printout from a match admin system where all teams are required to input their team no longer than 1.5 hours before the game. It should remove most of the accidental wrong name issues. As for name and number combination, they sometime fix them with a pen before the game if someone has mixed up the numbers etc.

It is the club's responsibility to have this in order. The name and number should match. But that is how it works in Norway.

I was always told to hold the card slightly to the side... If you hold it directly between yourself and the player it is likely your arm may block you view of them, however if you hold it slightly to the side you can maintain that view and gaze if necessary

very polite

Ok. In Norway (Oslo) team sheet is a printout from a match admin system where all teams are required to input their team no longer than 1.5 hours before the game. It should remove most of the accidental wrong name issues. As for name and number combination, they sometime fix them with a pen before the game if someone has mixed up the numbers etc.

It is the club's responsibility to have this in order. The name and number should match. But that is how it works in Norway.
names and shirt numbers should be given to the referee before the game but sadly it doesnt always work like that

Back