A&H

Junior/Youth Caution at Academies

Southend-ref

Southend United Supporter
Level 6 Referee
Had an awkward one today. I was reffing an academy match (U15) when I booked a player for dissent. I asked for his name but I had no idea how to spell it so I decided I would note his number and ask for confirmation of the spelling from the coach after the game. The coach said 'to be fair we don't do bookings in these games'. I simply said that that was not what I had been told, having been criticised the previous week for not showing a card in an U13 game by the referee coach. He gave me the spelling of the surname but not the first name (the surname was long enough and I didn't want to bother him longer and stir up more potential trouble), so I just sent that off to the county. Anything you would have done differently?

The Referee Store
I ref academy football too and the whole bookings question is one that comes up all the time. I ref for a league 1 club and we're told not to book players, but if I'm honest, it's not something that I'm entirely comfortable with. A booking is a booking, regardless of the type of game and if I need to, I won't hesitate to caution/send off a player. You wouldn't put up with dissent in a normal U15 game, so you were totally correct.

Just make sure you try and get the full name next time, whether he agrees or not the coach has to provide you with the full name. The county should be able to identify the player though, even if it is misspelt.

refs who go along with this are selling their souls for an academy game :(

We are told not to caution in academy games if possible, but our RDO said that we could card (and county will support us) if the situation is simply unmanageable eg player smashes ball away in anger = YC. I enjoy refereeing academy games, but the one thing I am not a fan of is the way that they change rules and play to their own agenda almost, with stuff like no bookings and 8 year olds playing 80 minute matches

I don't agree with the no cards way inclined in academies; only one of 4 I do still enforces it.

But, many rules aren't the same! For example, nearly all academy games I've been involved in have been in quarters, apart from U15&16. But, in the LOTG, does it say we can play in quarters? Nope! It's just one of those things! :)

I don't agree with the no cards way inclined in academies; only one of 4 I do still enforces it.

But, many rules aren't the same! For example, nearly all academy games I've been involved in have been in quarters, apart from U15&16. But, in the LOTG, does it say we can play in quarters? Nope! It's just one of those things! :)
I don't know about others but the one I do you don't get assistants (U15 and below) and so it's impossible to do offsides. They say unless it's huge don't give it because even if it is offside by a bit (and you know it) they're there for development so it's better that an offside player has a shot and a keeper makes a save than just have an indirect free kick.

We get assistants for pretty much all games U12 and above. Even when we don't get ARs at U10 games for example they still try and get us to enforce the offside rule at 7v7.

I don't know about others but the one I do you don't get assistants (U15 and below) and so it's impossible to do offsides. They say unless it's huge don't give it because even if it is offside by a bit (and you know it) they're there for development so it's better that an offside player has a shot and a keeper makes a save than just have an indirect free kick.
Yep, agree with that too. Depends what academy I'm at, some have liners at U12.

For one of the academies, they say only if they are blatantly offside, not if they are making the run. This is because they don't want the players to stop making the runs, but by calling them every time eventually they will stop making the runs and they don't want that to happen.

Yep, agree with that too. Depends what academy I'm at, some have liners at U12.

For one of the academies, they say only if they are blatantly offside, not if they are making the run. This is because they don't want the players to stop making the runs, but by calling them every time eventually they will stop making the runs and they don't want that to happen.
That makes sense. It would be so much easier with ARs, and frankly, I wouldn't mind doing lines even at U12.

It is easier with liners, but as I said depends where I am!

I don't mind! Especially as the liners at early ages are at the Prem clubs, not FL ones I do

Back