A&H

Cardiff v Bournemouth - Disallowed Goal

The consequences of doing it is the reason i would caution. By doing it, it has now become a 'disallowed goal' it creates a far bigger potential for dissent by his team mates and makes it harder for the reminder of the game. Its a completely different reason to (and an addition to) when a player kicks the ball in anger..

The Referee Store
Hes a prolific goalscorer and he was 12 yards out with an open net, it was always going to be a certain goal disallowed anyway, its not even like he lashes it into the net in anger either, he sidefoots it calmly, again, if he lashed it in anger then ok i can see arguement for dissent, but as i say, never for me, ever.

Nb. Once again Lee Mason didnt have the best of games yesterday by the looks of things, when are the PGMO going to drop him for a week or two to stop a catalogue of his errors? Good game for Taylor apart from, which ill admit, Harry Arters dive which earnt us a second pen

What do you mean it was always going to be a certain goal disallowed?

Even if that's the case then that's even more argument for him not to take the kick!

So you think it's perfectly acceptable for a player to waste time and antagonise the keeper by kicking it in the net anyway well after the whistle has gone?

Its hardly antagonising the keeper as it doesnt exactly count, and it doesnt waste time, the ball is about 5 yards from where the free kick is before Mason is even in the picture, it did not delay the restart.

You're not a goalkeeper, are you, Steve C? When the whistle goes, that ball is mine: anything you do to it, you do to me. Kicking it away after the whistle is inherently antagonistic. Time-wasting and delay of restart isn't a consideration here; it's an unsporting behaviour and I'd give a caution for that alone every time.
As for the block itself:
  • the goalkeeper has already begun scanning for a target;
  • he's going to clear with his right foot;
  • based on his position in the penalty area he is always going to clear from the point he eventually attempts to;
  • this point is exactly where the attacker chooses to stand;
  • the attacker knows this.
Put all that together, and it's obvious the attacker moved himself there for the purpose of hindering the goalkeeper's release of the ball, and succeeded in doing so. Definition of the offense. Good decision for me.

Put all that together, and it's obvious the attacker moved himself there for the purpose of hindering the goalkeeper's release of the ball, and succeeded in doing so. Definition of the offense. Good decision for me.
But the offence is "prevent a goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands", not "hinder his ability to kick it exactly where he wants to".

I am a keeper as it goes, i played at academy level and at any level if someone scored after the whistle went id just think 'ah well doesnt count does it so lets just get back to it'

Its hardly antagonising the keeper as it doesnt exactly count, and it doesnt waste time, the ball is about 5 yards from where the free kick is before Mason is even in the picture, it did not delay the restart.

Why is he touching the ball after the whistle? He has no right to do so. He's just being a prat, really. And if you don't think this is cautionable then neither is booting the ball away - after all, at a stadium that doesn't waste much time either.

This is why FIFA attempted the blanket rule of 'don't touch the ball after the whistle unless it's your restart'. While that soon died, I don't think the intent behind it has gone away.

But the offence is "prevent a goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands", not "hinder his ability to kick it exactly where he wants to".
As referenced elsewhere, this is taken to be inclusive of all the time between his hands going out of contact with the ball and the moment he has actually struck it upfield with the foot. Otherwise a player could go and stick their leg in between, knock it down before the goalkeeper clears it, and then be on their merry.

But they're not allowed to do that. So by preventing the goalkeeper from kicking the ball as they wish to, they are preventing the release of the ball as applied. Thus the offence.

@Nij, so you're seriously suggesting that it's incumbent on a player to move out of the way (rather than simply stand still) if he sees that the GK intends to kick the ball directly at him?! I'm all for allowing GK's to start quick counter attacks but that seems like an extreme interpretation to me ..

Presumably the keeper can chase the attacker round the box, kick the ball at him and get the attacker cautioned.
In this case, I suspect the officials were daydreaming, saw the ball hit the attacker and assumed he had raised a foot or something.

As referenced elsewhere, this is taken to be inclusive of all the time between his hands going out of contact with the ball and the moment he has actually struck it upfield with the foot. Otherwise a player could go and stick their leg in between, knock it down before the goalkeeper clears it, and then be on their merry.

But they're not allowed to do that. So by preventing the goalkeeper from kicking the ball as they wish to, they are preventing the release of the ball as applied. Thus the offence.
Yes, but the keeper did kick it - the player didn't prevent that; he didn't stick his leg out, he didn't move at all. The keeper kicked the ball at a stationary opponent.

If the player had stuck his leg out, I would caution for PIADM in most instances; if the player had moved across the area shadowing the keeper to get in his way, I would have given an IDFK for preventing the release. But he did none of these, he did not prevent the GK from releasing the ball, he just stood still and as we all know from the LOTG: All players have a right to their position on the field of play, being in the way of an opponent is not the same as moving into the way of an opponent.

Last edited:
Striker makes no move whatsoever towards the ball , goalkeeping error , goal for me

Yes, but the keeper did kick it - the player didn't prevent that; he didn't stick his leg out, he didn't move at all. The keeper kicked the ball at a stationery opponent.

If the player had stuck his leg out, I would caution for PIADM in most instances; if the player had moved across the area shadowing the keeper to get in his way, I would have given an IDFK for preventing the release. But he did none of these, he did not prevent the GK from releasing the ball, he just stood still and as we all know from the LOTG: All players have a right to their position on the field of play, being in the way of an opponent is not the same as moving into the way of an opponent.
As I said earlier, I see the goalkeeper getting ready to clear, and I can tell just where he'll need to go and be in order to do so. A striker at that level would surely have the same idea of what the keeper will do, and where, so he goes to stand himself right in the way of it. And that's fine as long as he isn't actually moving at the time he blocks the kick? Cripes.

As I said earlier, I see the goalkeeper getting ready to clear, and I can tell just where he'll need to go and be in order to do so. A striker at that level would surely have the same idea of what the keeper will do, and where, so he goes to stand himself right in the way of it. And that's fine as long as he isn't actually moving at the time he blocks the kick? Cripes.
Not just at the time the ball hits him - the striker is stationary before the keeper starts to move, does not change his position once the keeper starts to move and standing almost 5 yards away. And he has a right to his position on the field. The GK can throw the ball, he can kick the ball to either side of the striker, he can take one step to the side and kick it in almost exactly the same way as he finally does. The opponent is not preventing release of the ball in any meaningful way, the keeper is kicking the ball at the opponent.

Back