A&H

Canny Refereeing

Kes

I'll Decide ...
Ever bluffed your way out of a tight spot/bad decision on the field? I have, luckily. :D

Thought I'd share with you an incident which took place for me a few weeks back.

County League Premier Division match. Tight game, atrocious weather, the score is 0-0 at half time and there have been no KMI's or even cards. I've enjoyed the first 45 mins and come out for the second half knowing that it's probably going to be a single goal that settles this so I need to be "on my toes". ;)

The second half is barely 10 seconds old when Home yellows are inside the Away red's penalty area. The attack breaks down and the ball is punted the length of the field into the opposite penalty area with both a defender and attacker giving chase. They both converge on the ball just inside the penalty area (GK has bottled it and stays on his line) and I clearly see the defender grab the attacker by the waist and pretty much fling him to the ground. I'm literally sprinting just over the half-way line at this point (well, it was a long clearance and I am 54!! :p) but there is no doubting my own eyes. I blow the whistle long and loud and extend my arm to the penalty area. Howls of disbelief and amazement immediately ensue!!
As I'm rapidly closing the distance between myself and the incident, the full horror of what I've done suddenly hits me. Yep. Kes's refereeing brain hasn't yet had time to absorb the fact that it's now the second half, the teams are kicking opposite ways, the "defender" I saw wrestle his opponent to the ground is in fact the attacker and the stonewall penalty I've just awarded, is in fact meant to be a defensive free kick. :wall:

That sinking feeling begins to envelope me as I enter the penalty area and several Home team players angrily surround me telling me "You can't be serious ref - you've got that totally wrong!!" I'm glad of it really, the on-field noise helped to blot out the even worse noises coming from the sidelines (coaches, subs and spectators alike). :wide:

Fortunately, one of my bad habits as a referee is my tendency when blowing for a free kick, to immediately point on the turf to where the challenge took place whilst quickly explaining my decision before then almost simultaneously indicating the direction of the free kick with my other arm. It's something I've tried hard to get out of the habit of doing over the years but I still find myself doing it. It's not really a problem to be honest, except of course when it's inside the penalty area. :rolleyes:

Anyway, realising my mistake and not wanting to look a complete and utter pratt (which by this time is pretty much inescapable) I simply adopt a puzzled demeanour and quizzical expression before saying "Guys, I think there's a bit of confusion here, I was pointing to where the foul took place - not because I've given a penalty!!" :hmmm: Cue a 3-4 second silence before Home team captain breathes a sigh of relief and says "Phew, sorry ref, we thought you'd proper done us over there". (Pats me on the shoulder, smiles and jogs away). Away team's would-be penalty taker smiles wryly, hands the ball to the home GK and also jogs away. Honour restored. Thanks to a bit of quick thinking by yours truly. ;) :p

Notes to self: 1. Not all of my "bad habits" are necessarily bad. 2. Get your brain in order before you kick off the 2nd half!! :oops:

Incidentally, the match passed without further incident, no cards and finished 1-1 (neither of which were penalties). ;)

Anybody else done something similar or worse? :)

The Referee Store
Its a common theme for me, in the second half i keep pointing the wrong direction for throws for first 5 mins. Fortunately I also call out the teams name or colour however a few times I've had to just hold my hands up, apologize and laugh nervously.

Ever bluffed your way out of a tight spot/bad decision on the field? I have, luckily. :D

Thought I'd share with you an incident which took place for me a few weeks back.

County League Premier Division match. Tight game, atrocious weather, the score is 0-0 at half time and there have been no KMI's or even cards. I've enjoyed the first 45 mins and come out for the second half knowing that it's probably going to be a single goal that settles this so I need to be "on my toes". ;)

The second half is barely 10 seconds old when Home yellows are inside the Away red's penalty area. The attack breaks down and the ball is punted the length of the field into the opposite penalty area with both a defender and attacker giving chase. They both converge on the ball just inside the penalty area (GK has bottled it and stays on his line) and I clearly see the defender grab the attacker by the waist and pretty much fling him to the ground. I'm literally sprinting just over the half-way line at this point (well, it was a long clearance and I am 54!! :p) but there is no doubting my own eyes. I blow the whistle long and loud and extend my arm to the penalty area. Howls of disbelief and amazement immediately ensue!!
As I'm rapidly closing the distance between myself and the incident, the full horror of what I've done suddenly hits me. Yep. Kes's refereeing brain hasn't yet had time to absorb the fact that it's now the second half, the teams are kicking opposite ways, the "defender" I saw wrestle his opponent to the ground is in fact the attacker and the stonewall penalty I've just awarded, is in fact meant to be a defensive free kick. :wall:

That sinking feeling begins to envelope me as I enter the penalty area and several Home team players angrily surround me telling me "You can't be serious ref - you've got that totally wrong!!" I'm glad of it really, the on-field noise helped to blot out the even worse noises coming from the sidelines (coaches, subs and spectators alike). :wide:

Fortunately, one of my bad habits as a referee is my tendency when blowing for a free kick, to immediately point on the turf to where the challenge took place whilst quickly explaining my decision before then almost simultaneously indicating the direction of the free kick with my other arm. It's something I've tried hard to get out of the habit of doing over the years but I still find myself doing it. It's not really a problem to be honest, except of course when it's inside the penalty area. :rolleyes:

Anyway, realising my mistake and not wanting to look a complete and utter pratt (which by this time is pretty much inescapable) I simply adopt a puzzled demeanour and quizzical expression before saying "Guys, I think there's a bit of confusion here, I was pointing to where the foul took place - not because I've given a penalty!!" :hmmm: Cue a 3-4 second silence before Home team captain breathes a sigh of relief and says "Phew, sorry ref, we thought you'd proper done us over there". (Pats me on the shoulder, smiles and jogs away). Away team's would-be penalty taker smiles wryly, hands the ball to the home GK and also jogs away. Honour restored. Thanks to a bit of quick thinking by yours truly. ;) :p

Notes to self: 1. Not all of my "bad habits" are necessarily bad. 2. Get your brain in order before you kick off the 2nd half!! :oops:

Incidentally, the match passed without further incident, no cards and finished 1-1 (neither of which were penalties). ;)

Perfect!

Reactions: Kes

So... I fret about this nightmare all the time. Except, I mostly engage my conscious mind at Corner Kicks with a running commentary of whose attacking/defending. Surprised I haven't dropped a clanger of this flavour

BTW, 12 emoticons in a single post will never be beaten :asshat:

In a contrib game where I was being assessed an attacker was running through on goal with two defenders chasing. I clearly saw one of them trip him, but then managed to totally lose which one it was, and in my panic as more players arrived on the scene I could no longer even be sure who the two were. Of course AR1 would be able to help me I think as he was level with it, so go and have a chat with him only for him to tell me he doesn't know. I stare forlornly at AR2 but he is too far away and running over there would smack of clear desperation and dig the hole even deeper.

It's a clear DOGSO and at this point I can almost hear the assessor's pencil being sharped. So I take one last throw of the dice to get myself out of the brown stuff, pull my notebook out of my pocket, making sure only the yellow card is visible, accompanied with a shout of "yes please" generally towards the bunch of players. Never thought it would work, but the offender duly walks out towards me at which point the notebook goes back into my pocket and the red gets drawn from my back pocket and shown to him. He wasn't happy at all, with words to the effect of I wouldn't have come over if I thought it was a red card. Had he been more observant earlier in the game his heckles would have been raised as back them I never used the notebook and rather pulled yellows from my left shorts pocket, but he obviously didn't catch on.

The assessor found it all highly amusing after the game, and said that he thought I didn't have a clue which player it was. All I could respond with was "But I got the right player in the end didn't I", which he had to concede I indeed had. He still reminds me to this day of the massive slice of luck I got here, although I like to think it wasn't just luck and rather quick thinking played a part.

It's also canny how you didn't confuse the color of your teams with the color of your cards.

I have done this a number of times in mass cons. I sometimes loose/forget one or both players who started it after all the dust is settled. After separating both teams, I call both captains only to an isolated area have a quick chat and then ask "get the guys who started this here for me please". This gives nothing away about my loss of memory or sight and also allows the captains to showcase their responsibilities as captains.

Obviously you need to make sure the two players are managed separately.

It's also canny how you didn't confuse the color of your teams with the color of your cards.

I have done this a number of times in mass cons. I sometimes loose/forget one or both players who started it after all the dust is settled. After separating both teams, I call both captains only to an isolated area have a quick chat and then ask "get the guys who started this here for me please". This gives nothing away about my loss of memory or sight and also allows the captains to showcase their responsibilities as captains.

Hopefully one of the captains didn’t start it!

• Haha
Hopefully one of the captains didn’t start it!
Haha, never have had that but I always get a look at their faces. It's the shirt numbers I forget or miss. So (I am hoping) once I get the captains close, I would recognize one of them is the captain.

So... I fret about this nightmare all the time. Except, I mostly engage my conscious mind at Corner Kicks with a running commentary of whose attacking/defending. Surprised I haven't dropped a clanger of this flavour

BTW, 12 emoticons in a single post will never be beaten :asshat:

To be fair, I'm no different to many refs in that it can sometimes take a couple of minutes before your mind's "direction" tunes in to the second half. Like @Purron4 above, for most of us it's throw-ins when it happens. I just obviously haven't had many occasions when I've had to deal with a KMI ten seconds in before when my brain was clearly still tuned in to the first half. :oops:

In any event, it was a good lesson for me. I was able to bluff my way out of an embarrassing few seconds on this occasion using the force of my personality and dashing good looks but maybe I need to do an autism/Asperger's test .... :D

To be fair, I'm no different to many refs in that it can sometimes take a couple of minutes before your mind's "direction" tunes in to the second half. Like @Purron4 above, for most of us it's throw-ins when it happens. I just obviously haven't had many occasions when I've had to deal with a KMI ten seconds in before when my brain was clearly still tuned in to the first half. :oops:

In any event, it was a good lesson for me. I was able to bluff my way out of an embarrassing few seconds on this occasion using the force of my personality and dashing good looks but maybe I need to do an autism/Asperger's test .... :D
Hands up to being one of those refs! :oops: My tactic is to say the name/colour of the team for throws etc and say the team before pointing on free kicks, which is great until you inevitably say "yellow throw" whilst pointing in the wrong direction...

Hands up to being one of those refs! :oops: My tactic is to say the name/colour of the team for throws etc and say the team before pointing on free kicks, which is great until you inevitably say "yellow throw" whilst pointing in the wrong direction...

oh i've done this on a supply game as well! just me stood there like a lemon pointing the wrong way shouting the right way, players etc thinking i'm idiot (quite rightly!)

Never had a mass con as a ref, thankfully.

Been involved in a couple as an assistant though. Like you say, it is difficult to recall accurately once all the drama has dispersed. All I did on both occasions was keep repeating to myself in my head eg. "Blue 4 and Red 10, Blue 4 and Red 10" for when the guy in the middle asked me for my observations. Chances are though (unless he's having a day like you that is ;) :D) he's already got those and he's looking for something else from me as his lino. :shifty:

Ultimately, so long as the instigator and the first reactor get their reds, most players accept the fairness of it all and are grateful for the fact that the match can continue once the handbags have been put away. :)

Never had a mass con as a ref, thankfully.

Been involved in a couple as an assistant though. Like you say, it is difficult to recall accurately once all the drama has dispersed. All I did on both occasions was keep repeating to myself in my head eg. "Blue 4 and Red 10, Blue 4 and Red 10" for when the guy in the middle asked me for my observations. Chances are though (unless he's having a day like you that is ;) :D) he's already got those and he's looking for something else from me as his lino. :shifty:

Ultimately, so long as the instigator and the first reactor get their reds, most players accept the fairness of it all and are grateful for the fact that the match can continue once the handbags have been put away. :)

Honestly, even if he already has Blue 4 and Red 10, he will be thankful for the confirmation and if you have nothing else, and he has nothing else, then he will be glad to know he didn't miss anything glaring.

If you're lucky you should get a few 'obvious' throws/GK/Corner shouts in the first few minutes - just let the players get on with it (as they do at the top level, where referees often don't signal for obvious throws)

As others have said, if you do happen to get a close call in the first few minutes of the half then 'Red ball' is the way to go.

I've found it more difficult as an AR, as not flagging isn't an option (except for obvious GKs) - I just mutter to myself "White attacking" if I get THAT feeling early in 2nd half!

I've found it more difficult as an AR, as not flagging isn't an option (except for obvious GKs) - I just mutter to myself "White attacking" if I get THAT feeling early in 2nd half!
For the obvious ones, delay your flag until the team gives the direction away. No one is looking at you for direction anyway because it's an obvious one.

For the obvious ones, delay your flag until the team gives the direction away. No one is looking at you for direction anyway because it's an obvious one.
Good thought, but the referee might wonder why you have slowed down a little from the 1st half! :p

(as they do at the top level, where referees often don't signal for obvious throws)
I was actually told I signal too much in an assessment earlier this season when I was signalling for throws, didn't realise you only had to signal non-obvious throw ins.

I was actually told I signal too much in an assessment earlier this season when I was signalling for throws, didn't realise you only had to signal non-obvious throw ins.

If you are on your own you need to signal them all, even if obvious. Whereas if you have neutral assistants you can generally leave those in their half of the pitch to them.

If you're lucky you should get a few 'obvious' throws/GK/Corner shouts in the first few minutes - just let the players get on with it (as they do at the top level, where referees often don't signal for obvious throws)

As others have said, if you do happen to get a close call in the first few minutes of the half then 'Red ball' is the way to go.

As an AR (and sometimes as a ref) I’lol glance back at whichever defensive line will work to reset if I get lost. (And at levels where the GK rotates, you can look st the GK socks/shorts to quickly reset.)

I used to get confused on corner kicks. I have now got into the habit of glancing at the kick taker's shirt for direction identification just before the kick. It works quite well for mee.

Back