A&H

Can your assistants not destroy our pitch please?

The Referee Store
I also ran one half on each wing - again both as badly as each other: they asked for consistency so I gave it to them!
I used to run a lot of youth games and found that when parents of each team were on opposite sides this meant that the club lino wasn't getting grief from the opposing team's parents because they could then stay on their own side. They seemed to find it preferable to run the opposite wing rather than getting abuse from 50 - 60 spectators. I could have got them to run their own forwards but thought it would be easier to keep them on their own backs but at the opposite ends since this also gave me a new skill. I got used to running both wings that way so if there is an issue on one side then I can easily swap.
One game I ran right backs both halves because of low sun causing issues for left back on one side, and had an appeal against a dismissal for VC in the technical area. The player explained that the assistant's report supporting the dismissal couldn't be right because he wouldn't have seen what happened being too far away. When asked where the assistant was he stated that he was 50 yards away next to the left back "because that's where the lino always is!" The assistant and I both stated that actually he was standing next to the player at the time because I was running right backs! Cue laughter from commission and case proven.
Many years ago I was on the line which had literally a foot of mud on left backs while the right back lines were pristine. The referee was being assessed so didn't want to call the game off, but said that he couldn't run opposite wings so we spent 90 minutes (which felt like twice that) perfecting our mud monster impressions. The referee is now level 1 (football league), so it didn't hold him back at all.
It's now frowned on at higher levels but is a useful skill if you can do it. However, I wouldn't change anything if being assessed on an important game. You have enough to think about without changing something basic and potentially causing yourself problems. The risks outweigh any potential benefits and you're not likely to get cut any slack by the assessor if you get a KMI wrong.

I get a lot of this during pre-season and it actually is helpful both in the middle and on the line. It helps you focus for the season. Now I always ensure my last season game is with my assistants on right backs.

I had to run "wrong" line once as referee, "always" ran ARs on right backs.

Didn't enjoy everything being the "wrong way round" - have to say!

Was asked to run RB's last season in a cup semi final, was all over the place!!
didnt know which way to flag or anything, ref came off injured at half time and i took over the middle, swapped it straight back to LB's!!
Wasnt having any of that hocupocas RB malarky!!!

It was the ref's choice to have us running RB's nothing to do with the pitch or any other requests.

Felt so alien, both AR's felt the same

i seem to remember a few years ago the fa came out banning this nonsense, every other country in the world goes left backs

Back