A&H

Can you referee 'part time'?

ProbablyRubbish

I think refereeing could be fun, but I wouldn't want to do it every weekend. Maybe once or twice a month. Can you do this or once registered do you have to make yourself available all the time?

The Referee Store
I am in Australia but I think this applies anywhere in the world. You can referee as often as you like but your availabily is directly connected to your expectations of what you want to get out of refereeing. You would start at lowest/lower levels of refereeing ranks and low availabily keeps you there for a long time. Same with the type of games you would get. If this is inline with your expectations then all is good. There are also other things like, if there are limited games available during your availability, preference likely goes to those with higher availability.

Keep in mind reliability is very important. If you have low availability and decline games when you get them during when you said you are available (because for example you forgot you has something else on), then you are unlikely to get any more games.

I am in Australia but I think this applies anywhere in the world. You can referee as often as you like but your availabily is directly connected to your expectations of what you want to get out of refereeing. You would start at lowest/lower levels of refereeing ranks and low availabily keeps you there for a long time. Same with the type of games you would get. If this is inline with your expectations then all is good. There are also other things like, if there are limited games available during your availability, preference likely goes to those with higher availability.

Keep in mind reliability is very important. If you have low availability and decline games when you get them during when you said you are available (because for example you forgot you has something else on), then you are unlikely to get any more games.
This covers UK pretty much.

I do one weekend on, one weekend off for family reasons so perfectly feasible.

So long as you let people know well ahead of time they’ll be able to accommodate you.

I only did 5 middles and 7 lines this season, and not many more the season before. RefsSecs are in the main happy to get any help they can get, so as long as you keep them up to date with your availability there will be no problems.

As has been said though, to progress to higher levels you will need to referee more regularly.

Echo the above, although I think it a little difficult to go 'part time' from the start - difficult to build experience/confidence if only doing a small amount of games.

Once experienced, I've found it not only easy and enjoyable, but you actually get a very good variety of games in a wide range of competitions.

I'm only 'signed up' to Isthmian U18/U23 lines and a well known public school, but get loads of games through responding to the frequent requests for officials. Once you get 'known' you should get decent games - I got 3 County Cup semi lines this season - Womens, Mens OA and Men's Vets, for example.

Back