A&H

Junior/Youth Camcorders

Sheff Ref

Level 6 Referee
What is the restrictions on parents recording games of football. At what age does the restriction become less important under 17s-under 18s?

Thoughts please?

The Referee Store
There is actually no law preventing anybody from filming children in public places, meaning parents can film their kids playing football if they wanted to. However, due to it being a common misconception, they would look 'dodgy' and would take a lot of stick from other parents.

The only time in which they may not be able to film could be on a private pitch where cameras are forbidden, but that's a different issue really.

I think you have to have permission from every parent/player if it is ok for them to be filmed, as you can't film children without permission, I believe.

Then, 16+ you don't have to have permission, so U17&18s would be ok

I think you have to have permission from every parent/player if it is ok for them to be filmed, as you can't film children without permission, I believe.

Then, 16+ you don't have to have permission, so U17&18s would be ok
I'm not sure that's correct - as long as it's outside in a public place I think it's okay. Either way, as a referee you don't need to worry about this! Out of interest has anybody be filmed 'officially'? I have once but never got to see the video - would have been good to have analysed my performance.

Yeah - as a ref not your responsibility!

I think I have been filmed 'officially', but I didn't get to see the film because the players were under the age of 16! But I did want to see it - I'm on the line in 3 weeks and should get a film from that, so will be good as you said to analyse my performance, wish I could be filmed as a ref though!

A kids game I had 8 weeks was filmed it was mini soccer so I gave him permission just long he asked the managers

Its always useful to have the league/competiton/FA safeguarding officer number handy (usually in the handbook), so you can direct any questions to them. You are the match referee, there to ensure the competition rules and LOTG are adhered too. If the rules don't cover it, then its not up to you.

In the UK, the basis of 'there's no right to privacy in a public place' tends to hold true in most situations of appropriate behaviour by someone with a camera.

As a pro photographer, indeed, as an amateur photographer, I would have every right to photograph whatever I saw whilst in a public place. As long as I wasn't going to 'extraordinary lengths' to photograph it - such as climbing a tree, or hiding in a bush.

Neither do the police, or any other 'authority' have the right to delete, or ask you to delete, any images legally captured as they are your property. Police can confiscate a memory card (or roll of film to show my age) to be held as evidence, however a full receipt of the item along with it's contents would be required.

I have gone toe-to-toe with a couple of officers over this on more than one occasion ;-)

If you are in a public place, and are being filmed or photographed there is not much you can do about it. If your child is being filmed or photographed whilst in a public place there is not much you can do about it either. If you intend to do something you don't want to be seen, don't do it in a public place - common sense eh?

Back