A&H

But I got the ball ref

Mick.

RefChat Addict
How many times do we hear that .
Today's match, blue v red. Blue attacker heading towards the goal with just the goalie to face. Ball bounces high from a pass (if I remember right), at about waist height on the blue attacker. Red goalie is stood to her right, coming in to challenge for the ball. She swings her leg up, across the waist of the blue player. She managed to kick the ball but in following through kicked the player straight in the stomach.
I know it is more difficult to write than it is to see, but she has effectively roundhouse kicked the blue player in the stomach just after kicking the ball.
I blew for a penalty. I worked on the basis that as she had kicked the ball there was no DOGSO (because if she had not made contact, the blue player would have struggled to get the ball for a goal). I did't give a caution as, although initially it looked a bit reckless, I thought it bordered on reckless and careless so I gave her the benefit of the doubt. Needless to say, Red keeper was not happy with a penalty decision against her as she "got the ball". I explained that she may well have got the ball but she got the player as well. Blue score from the penalty which now puts them 2-1 up. The ended up finishing 2-1.
After the game the red lino (a qualified ref - aren't they all?) asked about my decision. I explained it as above but he did not agree (no surprise) as the player "cleared" the ball and took out the blue player afterwards.
Thoughts?

The Referee Store
Law 12 says if the referee decides a player is careless, reckless or uses reckless force when tackling an opponent, then a direct free kick should be awarded. A direct free kick for an offence inside the penalty area results in a kick from the penalty mark. Your "lino" didn't know this? Either qualified a long time ago (and doesn't keep up to date with law changes) or isn't a qualified and currently active referee ...

Back