A&H

Burnley v Leeds

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Been an easy match I think to referee.

Couple of "talking" points.

OFR had to have a word with both managers with 4O because of something that happened on the pitch involving Alioski it seems. He called Ayling (cptn) and Alioski over to have a chat with them, with the cameras thinking it may be for petty arm/hand gesture that a 5 year old normally does. Not condoning Alioski or the instigator (can't remember who) but I think it started with Alioski down "injured" but gets up perfectly healthy when provoked. I always find it amazing how players get up unscathed after rolling around in agony, or laying perfectly still, appearing to be "crying", when camera gets a close up, in pain whilst holding their shin (covered with shin pads).
I'm not saying I would want to see punishment, but COULD there have been any further punishment from OFR for Alioski from a law point of view?

Anyway, another talking point.

Corner awarded at the end.
Yet it was not a corner, or that it shouldn't have been.
How did the assistant miss that? Could understand the OFR missing it, blindside. But seriously, the AR getting it wrong.
But VAR looked at it for a potential penalty - therefore knows full well that it was not a corner.
No penalty. Corner still given (because VAR rules mean that they can not change it).
Now we know the commentators have access to the comms, it has been mentioned in the past. They did not mention any other conversation between officials.
But could it have been suggested that they don't think its a corner and they would find ANY fault to correct it. Except Leeds went short. They were later penalised for offside that was not shown with a replay - odd, because they always show the offside in replays. AR showed movement for corner taker coming back from offside position. Not saying it didn't happen but looks iffy if I'm honest.
But at 4-0, don't think anyone cares lol.
But what if it was a draw, or 1 goal in it? Corner taken, whipped in - goal.
I am not saying I want VAR to re-referee, but I think if after a penalty check, and something like a corner was awarded incorrectly, then it should be corrected. Corners and GKs are not subjective. They are factual. And can lead to a goal being scored.

The Referee Store
Been an easy match I think to referee.

Couple of "talking" points.

OFR had to have a word with both managers with 4O because of something that happened on the pitch involving Alioski it seems. He called Ayling (cptn) and Alioski over to have a chat with them, with the cameras thinking it may be for petty arm/hand gesture that a 5 year old normally does. Not condoning Alioski or the instigator (can't remember who) but I think it started with Alioski down "injured" but gets up perfectly healthy when provoked. I always find it amazing how players get up unscathed after rolling around in agony, or laying perfectly still, appearing to be "crying", when camera gets a close up, in pain whilst holding their shin (covered with shin pads).
I'm not saying I would want to see punishment, but COULD there have been any further punishment from OFR for Alioski from a law point of view?

Anyway, another talking point.

Corner awarded at the end.
Yet it was not a corner, or that it shouldn't have been.
How did the assistant miss that? Could understand the OFR missing it, blindside. But seriously, the AR getting it wrong.
But VAR looked at it for a potential penalty - therefore knows full well that it was not a corner.
No penalty. Corner still given (because VAR rules mean that they can not change it).
Now we know the commentators have access to the comms, it has been mentioned in the past. They did not mention any other conversation between officials.
But could it have been suggested that they don't think its a corner and they would find ANY fault to correct it. Except Leeds went short. They were later penalised for offside that was not shown with a replay - odd, because they always show the offside in replays. AR showed movement for corner taker coming back from offside position. Not saying it didn't happen but looks iffy if I'm honest.
But at 4-0, don't think anyone cares lol.
But what if it was a draw, or 1 goal in it? Corner taken, whipped in - goal.
I am not saying I want VAR to re-referee, but I think if after a penalty check, and something like a corner was awarded incorrectly, then it should be corrected. Corners and GKs are not subjective. They are factual. And can lead to a goal being scored.
I wouldn't bother trying to make sense of it all. Newcastle got a PK last night without the Referee awarding it with the ball in play (no whistle or indication of a PK (AFAIK)) and without the Referee going to the monitor. And the PK was a touch on the soft side

FWIW, I've no idea what was going on with 'The Mother's Meeting' in the OP game

I wouldn't bother trying to make sense of it all. Newcastle got a PK last night without the Referee awarding in with the ball in play and without the Referee going to the monitor
Oh yeah, I remember that now.
That was weird in itself. That's 2 occasions this week I felt OFR should have gone to monitor to "sell it" and nothing. The other being that handball.

I wouldn't bother trying to make sense of it all. Newcastle got a PK last night without the Referee awarding it with the ball in play (no whistle or indication of a PK (AFAIK)) and without the Referee going to the monitor. And the PK was a touch on the soft side

FWIW, I've no idea what was going on with 'The Mother's Meeting' in the OP game
I actually think the referee blows the whistle to give the penalty yesterday but is told by the assistant theres an offside. VAR sees theres no offside and because he would have gave the penalty, no need for him to review it on screen

I actually think the referee blows the whistle to give the penalty yesterday but is told by the assistant theres an offside. VAR sees theres no offside and because he would have gave the penalty, no need for him to review it on screen
I've watched it back and Kevin Friend whistles to indicate Offside (arm straight up in the air) when the delayed flag goes up (incorrectly)
It could be argued that Friend thought, 'oh yeh, that would've been a PK', but his body language showed absolutely nothing of the sort
By not going to the monitor, it stunk
1:25

Last edited:
Except Leeds went short. They were later penalised for offside that was not shown with a replay - odd, because they always show the offside in replays. AR showed movement for corner taker coming back from offside position. Not saying it didn't happen but looks iffy if I'm honest.
There was definitely movement by the corner taker. He ran towards the ball. But another Leeds player took possession of it and played it.

The corner taker never played/touched the ball. The corner taker also never interfered with an opponent (he was several yards away from the closest and went BEHIND his teammate that actually touched/played the ball.

In short, this was a poor decision and should not have been called, but fortunately had no real effect on the match.

Edit to add link to the video of the offside decision.

Last edited:
I've watched it back and Kevin Friend whistles to indicate Offside (arm straight up in the air) when the delayed flag goes up (incorrectly)
It could be argued that Friend thought, 'oh yeh, that would've been a PK', but his body language showed absolutely nothing of the sort
By not going to the monitor, it stunk
1:25

Again, the absence of audio doesn't help here. AR and R may very well have deduced a foul occurred, over ruled by the offside. Why does he need to go to a monitor to confirm a decision he has already made/planned to make.
OFR should be used to overturn decisions not confirm them.

Again, the absence of audio doesn't help here. AR and R may very well have deduced a foul occurred, over ruled by the offside. Why does he need to go to a monitor to confirm a decision he has already made/planned to make.
OFR should be used to overturn decisions not confirm them.
I'm saying it looked like Stockley Park gave the PK (which is the direction in which I think we're heading, but that's another story)
I'm not saying that's what happened (I can't say that), I'm saying that's very much what it looked like
I think hearing the audio in the UK would be disastrous, except that it would've helped with transparency of this rare occasion

Back