A&H

Bristol Shef Utd

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Commentator doing my nut.

First, an attacker kicks the ball out of the GK's hand. Commentator says it isn't a foul in the laws and something along the lines of "but in the modern game you won't get away with that." To round things off, the ref gives a YC for that, which he really didn't have to.

Last few mins and there's an SPA advantage. Commentator says "the ref will be coming back to YC for that"... no he shouldn't you *^#€%&/... it's a great advantage. The commentator is clueless. But then again, to round things off, the the ref gives a YC - on an advantage SPA.

It's like I have tuned in to a game from 1986!

Save me!

A&H International

First, an attacker kicks the ball out of the GK's hand. Commentator says it isn't a foul in the laws and something along the lines of "but in the modern game you won't get away with that." To round things off, the ref gives a YC for that, which he really didn't have to.

Last few mins and there's an SPA advantage. Commentator says "the ref will be coming back to YC for that"... no he shouldn't you *^#€%&/... it's a great advantage. The commentator is clueless. But then again, to round things off, the the ref gives a YC - on an advantage SPA.

Save me!
Unless the foul was deemed reckless in nature?

Commentators can be so poor. Have to say, usually, Nev and JC are not too bad…

Unless the foul was deemed reckless in nature?

Commentators can be so poor. Have to say, usually, Nev and JC are not too bad…
Not reckless this time.
Baldock kicking the ball our of the GK's hands could have been a general unsportsmanlike conduct YC - it was ridiculous.
But the SPA - argh!

The changes to the advantage rule is something commentators across the board haven’t learnt. They still expect a booking every time, it’s frustrating

The changes to the advantage rule is something commentators across the board haven’t learnt. They still expect a booking every time, it’s frustrating

So do players kinda. It's an annoying change because it was an easy way to manage the game. Play advantage, return for the SPA interference.

Now, I have to weigh up, do I play the advantage or do I go for the caution. Even when I get off a great advantage that leads to a chance, I'll have players ask why I'm not going in for the caution on the way back. I can't, cos my hands are tied by the law change.

I'll have players ask why I'm not going in for the caution on the way back. I can't, cos my hands are tied by the law change.

So to help me understand this. There is no specific code for SPA and I normally code it as TR, FT or SP. It is normally something similar to that which denies the attack. Why not have a code specifically for SPA? You could then waive the SPA caution, but apply a TR caution.

I often find then when I caution its a bit of a toss up over which one I'm going to choose.

(I should add that I do decide and tell the player which it eventually is!)

Last edited:
So to help me understand this. There is no specific code for SPA and I normally code it as TR, FT or SP. It is normally something similar to that which denies the attack. Why not have a code specifically for SPA? You could then waive the SPA caution, but apply a TR caution.

I often find then when I caution its a bit of a toss up over which one I'm going to choose.

It's a fair question, but it's also worth noting that it doesn't really matter to anyone. Fines, points towards a suspension etc are all the same regardless of which FA code you use, I don't think anyone knows what they're actually used for!

There is no specific code for SPA and I normally code it as TR, FT or SP.

Can't help you there. Wales doesn't use the specific codes like England. All of those would just count as C1 in Wales and we don't need to elaborate on the specific C1 offence, which simplifies things IMO.

It's a fair question, but it's also worth noting that it doesn't really matter to anyone. Fines, points towards a suspension etc are all the same regardless of which FA code you use, I don't think anyone knows what they're actually used for!
There will be a spreadsheet somewhere!

They are just used for FA monitoring, or at least at some point in the past they were. Wouldn't be at all surprised if no one has looked at the for years.

SPA would be reported as one of HD, SP or TR. I suspect the codes used haven't been updated since before SPA was even a thing.

Think about whether you need to tell the player which sub-heading you are going to report them under - all they need to know is that you weren't happy with the tackle so you are cautioning.

Save me!

Or a game from as far back as 2019...

Back