The Ref Stop

Brazil VAR

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Not sure if this link will work, and appreciate it's in Portuguese/Spanish (not 100% sure, so forgive me)...

Referee sent to monitor for handball leading to goal.
I'm not 100% sure it hit the arm. They have higher quality, and bigger, screens than my 2 year old mobile to look at but still not convinced.
Don't know exactly what happened after the award of the no goal, but surely you could argue a foul should have been awarded then if no goal.
The player who slid in, who IMO would be bordering DOGSO, did so recklessly at least. The players quick movement avoided proper damage.
Now, I don't know any Spanish/Portuguese so don't know what they were looking at at the freeze frames before, but if they were looking at offside in the players own half then they were wasting even more precious time.

The Ref Stop
This could not be DOGSO as because of the handball there was no possibility of a goal hence a goal could not be denied.

But isn’t the potential foul before the HB?
That was my thinking.
The potential foul, taken away, and I don't think handball happens. Handball happens as he is avoiding the tackle made second before.

It definitely hit the arm, you can see the spin of the ball change when it hit the elbow.

I still not 100% on it as I think the spin on the ball is what you're seeing, from the contact prior.

Everyone in every other game ever: goal.
The no handball whatsoever before a goal by the attacker. Is not a good look.

Surely that video as a test case: Do you want a goal or DFK on the edge + red card for DOGSO.

Just silly.

The no handball whatsoever before a goal by the attacker. Is not a good look.

Surely that video as a test case: Do you want a goal or DFK on the edge + red card for DOGSO.

Just silly.
I agree on that. It was one thing when we were quick to find “deliberate” on close calls where the player/team scored, but I hate the pure inadvertent HB. Shrug. No one asked my opinion when they made th change.

But isn’t the potential foul before the HB?
I am not so sure. Can easily argue the bit of contact that caused the foul was just after this freeze frame.

Screenshot_20241012-122311.jpg

This is a minefield. Without the foul and the defender, what is the likelihood of the attacker regaining control?

For considerations, do you take the defender out just before the contact for the foul, or before the tackle that eventually became the foul? The ball was knocked by the attacker towards a second defender but then changed direction and popped up by the tackle of fouling defender.

Another consideration (and I totally don't agree with it) is that the defender made clear contact with the ball before 'the foul'. I have seen countless reviews of other incidents that make a ball contact justify a no foul.

Last edited:
Back