A&H

Boot recommendation

Is it just me that would never wear any form of running shoes to referee, just seems unprofessional to me to wear trainers rather than boots
I wear all black running shoes on hard ground and 3G (if allowed), no one has ever commented on it. My knees really struggle in mouldies, whereas the extra cushioning of trainers makes a massive difference. I did games a couple of weeks ago that I thought was on grass in the pouring rain so I only took mouldies, it got switched to 3G last minute and consequently my knees were very sore after.

The Referee Store
Is it just me that would never wear any form of running shoes to referee, just seems unprofessional to me to wear trainers rather than boots
This is cultural. In the US, running shoes are completely acceptable to wear. Even some of our professional referees wear them. I usually wear running shoes when I center on Field Turf like I will later tonight.

I get that this is frowned upon in many places. For me personally, I have two questions.

1) Are they primarily black?
2) Are your feet comfortable so you can focus on the game?

If your answer to both questions is “yes”, then your shoes are good enough for me! :facepalm:

My 13 year old has started refereeing this year (13 is the minimum age in the US), and he told me he didn’t want to wear his studs as a referee since he also plays and his feet start to hurt after a few games wearing his studs. I bought him these shoes for officiating. He liked them so much that I tried a pair for myself. I liked them, too. I’ll wear these as a center on dry grass and mix them up with my running shoes on turf (on which we play many of our high school games in my area). My son has worn these both on the line and in the center.

I have the Copa Mundials. Comfortable. Only thing I dislike is that the white of the ‘tongue’ gets really lucky after a while. But they are hard wearing comfy.

Back