A&H

Bookings

Zimmyman

Ok hi again !! 3 games in and no real trouble yet !! But it’s gonna come!!! Right what is the correct procedure in youth football u13 on how to caution a player ! Help would be appreciated

The Referee Store
Ok, that wasn't good advice.

Call the player to you and meet them halfway. Explain that you are cautioning them for whatever the offence was, ask their name and write it down, then calmly show the yellow card.

Run up to the player, shove the card in his face then skip away punching the air shouting "gotcha!"

Lol lol not quite the advice as a new ref that a looking for

Call the player to you and meet them halfway. Explain that you are cautioning them for whatever the offence was, ask their name and write it down, then calmly show the yellow card.

That’s better lol thanks

No, no, you grab them by the scruff of the neck, march them to where you want them and brandish the card before sending them on their way.

Not really helpful !!! You are all acting worse than the players I would book thought this was a fourum for helping !!!

No, no, you grab them by the scruff of the neck, march them to where you want them and brandish the card before sending them on their way.
This is just silly. Everyone knows you wave it at the player from, minimum, 25 yards away and point at them.

At the end of a game and it is possible you can explain to a player it is not personel and just part of football. I have found youth players appreciate this. I only do this on certain offences, not dissent or VC , more reckless tackles etc but I would only do this if you feel it is an ok atmosphere to do it.

Slowly stalk the player like you are a predator and when you are close enough leap into the air and brandish the card with a shout and a flourish. That's the only way to do it!

Joking aside, I find that it entirely depends on the atmosphere of the game and the severity of the offense. If it is a particularly nasty challenge, that you would consider reckless in nature but not enough to send the player in question off, and it has been an intense game or it could be at the very beginning of the game, you might want to consider a short sprint to the player. By sprinting towards the scene, it allows everyone to see (players, coaches, spectators, etc.) that you are alert and focused on the game and are not going to allow any foolishness to happen on your watch.
If the offense is less severe, let's say for example, persistent infringements of the laws of the game, it can be enough to get the player's attention (make eye contact) and show the yellow card from within a reasonable distance. A reasonable distance in this case being within the vicinity of the play (10-20 yards).
Finally, sometimes you may want to make the player come to you. I like to use this approach for players that are overly ****y or mouthy for a few reasons. One, it usually annoys the Hell out of them that I am making them come to me. Two, it allows them the briefest of time to reflect on why they are coming to see me and mentally prepares them for the possible caution. Three, as the referee, you are in charge of the match - you don't need to go see every player that you are talking to.
There is no hard and fast rule as to the correct approach and it will depend on your refereeing style, what is happening during the match and the type of respect that you command from the players. Two key factors though: Make eye contact and raise the card above your head so that everyone can see it (that way there are no surprises later on if the same player gets booked again and a red card follows).

Good advice already given above. Was there not a section on card procedure in your course?

Given this is the new referee's forum can we be sensible please?

In England at anything below the National League Premier division there is only one allowed procedure. Obtain name, explain why they are being, warn as to future conduct, show card. That applies all the way now from level 7 to level 2b.

Given this is the new referee's forum can we be sensible please?

In England at anything below the National League Premier division there is only one allowed procedure. Obtain name, explain why they are being, warn as to future conduct, show card. That applies all the way now from level 7 to level 2b.

Thank F;;;;;k for some common sense !! You are right we are new refs I don’t mind banter but a lot of them was stupid !!! They had to learn yes ?????

Good advice already given above. Was there not a section on card procedure in your course?

Yes but not in a real game scenario !! It is completely different in a game ! That’s why we are doing the five games to learn !!!!!
It’s info I need from a wide spectrum of experience ! The course though great does not cover all deeply enough

You also have to remember at youth level a lot of players won't have received a caution and they will not know the procedure. They expect it be like on MOTD where cards are just flashed. You will have to educate as well.

Yes but not in a real game scenario !! It is completely different in a game ! That’s why we are doing the five games to learn !!!!!
It’s info I need from a wide spectrum of experience ! The course though great does not cover all deeply enough

1) Blow your whistle - you probably want to do it a little harder and longer than for a normal foul or stoppage, that gets everyone's attention
2) Nice loud voice - "Yes Please <insert team and player number here>" and beckon the player to a neutral area away from other players (isolate them)
3) If other players are coming over to you to remonstrate - a nice clear "Go away please" this way if other players want to carry on you can get them for dissent
4) Make sure the player is stood up, not tying laces or adjusting socks and is looking at you
5) Explain why you are cautioning them - remember its not a discussion or a debate
6) Take their name, get them to spell it and make sure they give you FIRST name and SURNAME, in some cases members of the same family might be playing. Note the name and the time of the caution in your book
7) Warn that that any further transgressions may lead to them being dismissed
8) Give them time to get back into position
9) Restart the game

Back