A&H

Booking for intent to trip but no foul awarded

Duffer_

Does the referee have to award a free kick in order to show a yellow card for intent to trip?

Seems odd to me that you would book a player in this scenario without awarding a free kick.

Does this give grounds for appeal on the award of the yellow card?

Many thanks in anticipation of an informed response.

Cheers - Duffer_

The Referee Store
Ashley Barnes should be cautioned everytime he steps on to the f.o.p, just to save time later

You can't appeal a yellow

Thank you for the reply haywain. Are you Mike Jones in disguise?

Notwithstanding the right to appeal, is it legitimate to book a player for intent to trip without awarding a free kick?

Cheers - Duffer_

Yup, entirely correct in law. Though you'd officially be cautioning for a challenge that you deemed either Reckless or calculated to break up a promising attack rather than 'intent to trip'. You always have the right to play the advantage and then go back to caution the player at the next stoppage in play (rather than actually give the free kick). Though remembering which player it was that offended is the fun part ;)

'Attempts to trip' is a foul. So if you're going to caution for a reckless attempt to trip, then you must award the foul unless you're applying advantage.

No free kick means there wasn't a foul. If no foul, what's the caution for?

But it won't be grounds for appeal.

Reactions: SM
Thanks for the constructive replies.

There is no advantage as the attacking player kicks the ball out of play immediately after the reckless challenge.

Sounds like a refereeing error to me.

Hmm.. If the attacking player kept control of the ball through the challenge then just made a bad decision to kick the ball out afterwards - ie wasn't still being affected by the foul - then advantage would be applied there (advantage isn't about giving somebody another go if they stuff it up for no reason), and the referee may not have had the chance to call advantage.

On the other hand, depending how close it all was, the referee may also have thought the ball was out of play first.

Of course, you saw it so it may be that neither of those was applicable, but just throwing out possible things that happened.

It looked more like the first scenario you describe Capn but the attacking player was never affected by the foul as no contact was made, and arguably he had no sight of the challenge. The ball went out of play within a second or two of the incident but it was some distance away after a misplaced raking pass, so the referee did not misinterpret the sequence of events.

Under these circumstances is use of advantage appropriate no matter how brief, i.e. the second between the lunge and the misplaced pass, and the fact that the foul had no bearing on play? If advantage wasn't being played, is it appropriate to award a yellow card without a free kick?

Thanks again for the replies.

If we're using the Ashley Barnes first caution from yesterday as our example then I think the decision was spot on. The challenge was a yellow on two counts .. firstly a reckless attempt to trip and secondly designed to break up a promising attack. As he didn't make contact, there was a clear advantage in carrying on rather than giving the free kick. The attacker then wastes this advantage (without being impacted by the attempted challenge) so restart play with a throw in.

Last edited:
As with most of the more obscure, magical and mysterious writings within the lotg - players will 99% of the time not know it is an offence to attempt to trip an opponent - when you blow for it, it's the caveman seeing fire for the first time look on their dear sweet faces

"That's not a foul ref, I tried to trip him, but he was too quick for me..."
(Yes this "smoking gun" was what a player once said to me when I penalised him for an attempted trip)

:rolleyes:

Back