A&H

Bogey team for the 2nd time this season

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Earlier this season I had probably my hardest game in my 5 years of doing this. Greens were arguing and blaming me and my assistants constantly, disagreeing at every decision. It came about as I had one AR who was not up to the task and repeatedly flagged in error. I had to repeatedly wave down offside flags and he wasn't going with me at ball in/out, just randomly flagging. My mistake was perhaps not to tell him to stop flagging and treat him like a CAR. Couple of yellows for dissent. Understandable complaints but only from the green team after the game which was drawn.

So, the same team again tonight playing against red. Two good ARs, though AR2 over 60 struggles to keep up at times. Before kick off, atmosphere good, remind the teams to play to the whistle. 5 mins in, first offside flag is raised against red with good timing by AR1 but a defender has played the ball deliberately after the initial pass - AR1 couldn't have seen it so I am happy flagged - but I have to wave down the flag and scream to continue playing. There's not a goal and I am glad I didn't shirk it... but of course the greens start whinging and don't understand the offside law.

They are 6-0 down after two thirds of the game. 6-2 finish. Nearly every goal is a breakaway through a static defence, appealing for offside. I would stand by every decision made by the ARs in the game. I didn't do any favours. I didn't shirk. Couple of YCs, one for dissent when green GK insults the older ARs corner flagging technique, which is a bit "rhythm gymnastics"... and then my nemesis, green DM, runs into me accidentally, won't shake me hand after the bump and tries to tell me "it's another strange game for you ref". NO IT ISN'T PAL. And you are a lucky boy I don't bring out the YC for that. I stand by every decision, AR1 was excellent throughout including calling one goal over the line, and the first offside flag was the right thing to do IMHO. AR2 might have been behind a few times but never guessed. And I probably had my best game. 3 good advantages, one really good wait and see the lob but no advantage so bring it back for the DFK in the centre circle, one lightning YC to diffuse a retaliation situation, not too much movement, not too little, of course a few little things - I did point the wrong way for the opening kick off! Anyway...

But the club marks are going to be dismal from the greens. The whinging, the whining. In the face of their absurdity I am amazed I could be so fair with them for another two halves of football.

I want them again next week with video!

The Referee Store
it sounded like u did almost everything right, but how on earth can u point to the wrong direction on kick off?

it sounded like u did almost everything right, but how on earth can u point to the wrong direction on kick off?
I know!
....because the kicker was in the opponents half, facing his own goal... I pointed and stood "with him"... ... maybe a bit nervous because of the bogey team... and we are just half way into our first season with the backwards kick off... first and last time though... I promise!

I know!
....because the kicker was in the opponents half, facing his own goal... I pointed and stood "with him"... ... maybe a bit nervous because of the bogey team... and we are just half way into our first season with the backwards kick off... first and last time though... I promise!

I have never pointed for the direction at a kick off. I don't see the need. I have pointed the wrong way for dozens of throw ins though!!!

I have never pointed for kick off either, too busy starting my watches.As for throw ins yeah I have done that as well!

This is why Club marks are an absolute disaster of a system... Win, you'll do well, Lose and they'll can your mark....Right or wrong you can't win... why this is even classed as a suitable system is beyond me..... Only independent assessors can ever be trusted....

This is why Club marks are an absolute disaster of a system... Win, you'll do well, Lose and they'll can your mark....Right or wrong you can't win... why this is even classed as a suitable system is beyond me..... Only independent assessors can ever be trusted....

Which makes it even less of a suitable system, as there is only around one observer for every 30 referees, and if you base that on observers who don't referee so are available every week that falls to around one per 100 referees.

Just isn't going to happen, so club marks remains the only system however imperfect it is. It isn't really used much for promotion any more, but is still invaluable for RefsSecs who need to know who the better referees are. And the better RefSecs won't look at isolated games and marks, but if one referee has averaged 50 over 10 games there's a fair chance he is not as good a referee as one who has averaged 90 over the same number of games and involving the same teams.

In a game receiving £5 Billion plus from TV money then its not about the fact that there isn't enough money, its about choices as to where the money is spent. There is plenty of money in the game, alas there are very greedy agents, players and chairman who are in it for one thing. The FA pander to this so we are where we are! This situation could change tomorrow if they so wished.... Alas, that isn't going to happen.... We've discussed this before and your view never changes RR, Club marks should be scrapped and the proper investment made... will it happen... I doubt it!!!

So why are the FA not setting up payments for assessors?
At least the equivalent of the match fee of the referee they are assessing. That would get the assessor numbers up and we'd have some meaningful marking! Simples really.

1% levy on all transfers on this would fund hundreds of assessors every weekend no problem...... Thats without even touching the 5 Billion!!!

If assessors were paid they could also weed out all the 'old boys' that don't do it very well.....

Going off on a bit of a tangent re funding, this did occur to me on recently:

Last Wed. evening I did a friendly between a couple of local (adult) sides. Match fee £30 - this money will have come directly from the players subs.

On Saturday I did an U16 game between two League 2 clubs - match fee £20.

Now I'm not too bothered about the difference in money - I enjoyed both games - but it did make me think about financing football. The league two clubs are only a few steps down from the mega bucks at the top of the game, but probably operating on a shoe string.

There is no trickle down.

Absolutely right RefJef, there is no trickle down. On the same day that the most recent mega bucks TV deal was announced the FA buried the news that funding to CFAs would be massively reduced. So whilst even average FL and Championship players are getting extra money, and those in the PL will get enough to retire after just a couple of seasons, loads of staff members at county FAs have been made redundant.

Its never going to change as the FA will never do anything that upsets the PL. As the phrase goes, don't bite the hand that feeds you.

More fool them then to agreeing to pander to the PL bigwigs... It should be the dog that wags the tail IMO. They've made their bed now.....

Which makes it even less of a suitable system, as there is only around one observer for every 30 referees, and if you base that on observers who don't referee so are available every week that falls to around one per 100 referees.

Just isn't going to happen, so club marks remains the only system however imperfect it is. It isn't really used much for promotion any more, but is still invaluable for RefsSecs who need to know who the better referees are. And the better RefSecs won't look at isolated games and marks, but if one referee has averaged 50 over 10 games there's a fair chance he is not as good a referee as one who has averaged 90 over the same number of games and involving the same teams.
I confess I did write about this game to my ref sec because I have a niggling feeling that these two games and one team in particular might cause a disturbance in the force.
We have club marks and comments and we get a lot of the most "useful" comments a few times a season. Of course it's twisted but I think it's great that the captains/coaches do it, it's great to get any feedback at all and, as you say, I trust my ref sec to interpret the qualities of the comments - as I have to myself to keep my own sanity!

Back