A&H

Blood on the shirt

joe cunningham

Hi all,

U9's match this morning yellows v blues, yellow gets a wack in the face and suffers a nose bleed. He has a little bit blood on his sleeve and on his chest but nothing Much.

I ask the manager if they have a spare shirt or even a yellow bib that he could change into but they have neither and also no subs.

Due to the factors, I allow the player to continue wearing he shirt. Was I right to do this or should I not of aloud him to finish the game?

The Referee Store
The good book says "A player is not permitted to wear clothing with blood on it".

It might only be a little blood, but it is a definite health and safety issue.

The good book says "A player is not permitted to wear clothing with blood on it".

It might only be a little blood, but it is a definite health and safety issue.
This is what I thought. Suppose in hindsight I shouldn't of let him Cary on, rules are rules. :rolleyes:

Hi all,

U9's match this morning yellows v blues, yellow gets a wack in the face and suffers a nose bleed. He has a little bit blood on his sleeve and on his chest but nothing Much.

I ask the manager if they have a spare shirt or even a yellow bib that he could change into but they have neither and also no subs.

Due to the factors, I allow the player to continue wearing he shirt. Was I right to do this or should I not of aloud him to finish the game?

Are you really going to stop an under 9 from playing football for that?? :eek:

Secondly, if it was an issue for you, could you not have asked him to turn the top inside-out?

Are you really going to stop an under 9 from playing football for that?? :eek:

Secondly, if it was an issue for you, could you not have asked him to turn the top inside-out?

Why would you let them play in a shirt with blood on it? The law is clear, players cannot wear clothing which has blood on it, however, I will conseed that the laws don't specify when the amount of blood on a shirt becomes unacceptable.

It is a major health and safety risk, would you want your child to potentially come in contact with the blood of another?

When I first started coaching (an Under 8 team), I attended a First Aid course which was run by a prison officer. He asked the group how many of us would wear gloves or take any protective measures if one of our players was bleeding?
The answer of course was "None of us" because we know the players and they're only 8.
His reply was "But you have no idea what the parents have been up to! They could be addicts and you'd be exposing yourself to any number of risks."
My first instinct will always be to help a young player who's bleeding or - in the circumstances described - let them play. However, in the world we live in that may be a naive mistake.
Probably safer all round not to let the child play with blood on his shirt.

Kind of my area of speciality having spent some time working in haematological pathology laboratories. It was mentioned what are the chances of an 8 year old having a blood-borne virus. Whilst it is true that there are some BBV's that have a reduced risk due to the lifestyle of those of that age, disregarding the simple fact that they've had less time on this planet to obtain a BBV, there are many ways for them to have done so.

There's the previously mentioned one, but many BBV's can cross the placental membrane and transfer parent to child. HIV1, HIV2, HepB and HepC can transmit that way. Several can be transferred from parent to child via breast feeding also, including human T-lymphotropic virus, a major, major carcinogen.
Another that many do not realise, blood transfusion. Anybody that has had one is at a risk of having a BBV due to the fact that, whilst the blood is screened, it is not completely full proof.

I'm cutting myself short here as there's a massive amount I could write on this. To prevent a long story becoming even longer, we are told when working in laboratories to treat all blood as infected. I'd suggest everyone to do that also. Most virus' die off pretty fast once they come out into the open environment, but fresh blood is always a risk. Get the shirt changed and let the blood dry before handling it further (i.e before washing it.)

Bit of perspective, it's u9s. Chances of them carrying a bbv - negligible.

Throw a load of water at it, wring it out as much as possible, get on with the game.

Chances of anybody carrying a BBV disease is negligible. But even at U/9 it's definitely possible. This law doesn't have an age restriction.

If you're going to sacrifice a law at this age, you'd be better off putting him in a T-shirt that roughly matches his team colour. Much better compromise than a safety one. Turning a shirt inside out doesn't do a thing.

Back