A&H

Bit of a step up - aerial challenges?

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
This week I had my first game after promotion in mens' and then last night I had a cup game that was another level "above my pay grade".

I've been flagging these levels for two years so I know what to expect. In the cup game there were some good players who have played higher still.

I felt some uncertainty with aerial challenges. I find the same thing watching the prem/ECL. The way the best players in the air jump, use their arms, time their jumps, is so different from lower levels. Perhaps it's also that, for a lank and CB, I was always deeply average in the air and never got trained in the art.

So tips: how to get sensitive to offences, what do you look for, pushes/timing/leading elbows..?

The Referee Store
Leading elbow of a player challenging from behind. Swinging arm when challenging side by side. On the rare occasion swinging elbow when challenging side by side. In all cases they know what they are doing. They are all free kicks but can be caution or send off (elbow/arm used as a tool or a weapon) depending on contact.

One would expect going into an areal challenge with a raised knee would be common as well but i have never seen one.

This week I had my first game after promotion in mens' and then last night I had a cup game that was another level "above my pay grade".

I've been flagging these levels for two years so I know what to expect. In the cup game there were some good players who have played higher still.

I felt some uncertainty with aerial challenges. I find the same thing watching the prem/ECL. The way the best players in the air jump, use their arms, time their jumps, is so different from lower levels. Perhaps it's also that, for a lank and CB, I was always deeply average in the air and never got trained in the art.

So tips: how to get sensitive to offences, what do you look for, pushes/timing/leading elbows..?

For me something which helps is applying your same principle as you posted on offsides, no linesman, and that is, to be wide. What you can see looking down barrel of gun at a aerial, is different to how it looks side on.

Leading elbow of a player challenging from behind. Swinging arm when challenging side by side. On the rare occasion swinging elbow when challenging side by side. In all cases they know what they are doing. They are all free kicks but can be caution or send off (elbow/arm used as a tool or a weapon) depending on contact.

One would expect going into an areal challenge with a raised knee would be common as well but i have never seen one.

Goalkeepers tend to jump with a raised knee, although this is getting less prevalent now that they are more protected.

For me something which helps is applying your same principle as you posted on offsides, no linesman, and that is, to be wide. What you can see looking down barrel of gun at a aerial, is different to how it looks side on.
Good news on this point - I think I am good at anticipating the drop. I get side on. I "study" the GKs and players and try to prepare for every long and aerial ball. That actually gets easier the higher up I go as the players (especially GKs) are more reliable at hitting their target men or playing balls into space. I think (and others have played at higher levels than me - a lot higher) that also comes with years of playing - in my case at the back, anticipating long balls!

Great reminder about use of tool vs weapon!

Back