A&H

Biggest **** up ever !

A

AndyW

Ok lol im not afraid to say im wrong and jesus christ I made a howler today I think altough im not 100% sure. Defender whos under pressure boots the ball now im sure it wasnt ment for the keeper i think it was just a bad clearance in the air which the keeper picked up. Me being a dopy turd today blew for a FK inside the box which resulted in a goal :oops:

The Referee Store
Well I can't exactly tell from that description Andy, but if it the defender has knocked it back to the 'keeper, then it is an IDFK where he picked up the ball, not a DFK (PK).
But onwards and upwards, everyone makes mistakes.. Just react to it now and improve for the your next few games :).

Don't dwell on it dude.

Onwards and upwards!

The worst part of it .... When i blew my whistle i knew straight away i messed up but didnt dare change my decision

The referee who says he has never made a ock up is one who has never actually done a game! I gave a penalty and pretty much as soon as I had blown the whistle and pointed to the spot I realised that it was actually a damn good piece of defending. The defending team of course protested (to their credit they did not even come close to going over the top) but as I was on my own with only CAR's I couldn't change my mind as I felt it would have looked like I was giving in to the pressure. Why did I give it, god only knows because even now I don't know why I did but I learnt from it, accepted that I'm not perfect and vowed not to do some as stupid as that ever again, which, touch wood, I haven't.

Live and learn and remember that to be in the postion to make a howler proves that you are big enough to be there in the first place!

I cautioned a player last weekend, gave him a telling off took his name and number and sent him away without showing him the yellow card.... I know they are for show but even still :rolleyes:!

I did tell his captain during the next break in play that i had cautioned him despite not showing the yellow!

Not a huge **** up but still a very basic error!!

I cautioned a player last weekend, gave him a telling off took his name and number and sent him away without showing him the yellow card.... I know they are for show but even still :rolleyes:!

I did tell his captain during the next break in play that i had cautioned him despite not showing the yellow!

Not a huge **** up but still a very basic error!!

Yeah, I think I did this on Saturday. I took his name, wrote down the basic details and then restarted correctly, but at half-time I realised I didn't remember showing the card. Luckily heard the same player saying he wouldn't charge down a free kick for fear of a second yellow, so he obviously realised he'd had one...just the spectators who may have been confused!

Some of these are great examples of why it's better to give yourself a bit of breathing and thinking time when on the field. You don't need to blow straight away and you'll make fewer mistakes if you just give yourself a second to make sure. Take the lessons you learn, as we all do, and go onward with it.

The card is only for identification purposes to let the other participants and spectators know what you've done. As long as you tell the player you've cautioned him then the procedure is complete. As senior AR I've thought on a couple of occasions that the ref has booked someone just by their body language, but been disappointed at half time/full time when the ref says he didn't book them!

Over the years I've made some howlers, trying to play advantage instead of a penalty.. Blew my whistle during a corner kick..... and there's dealing with child abuse, foul and offensive spectators....

If you are interested, you can read more in my book, Diary of a New Referee...

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/FezBarnard

Back