A&H

Belenenses v Benfica

A&H International
I know as a ref we can't do anything but seriously how has this game even started...

If I'm reffing a club where most players have Covid or are isolating, I'm going nowhere near the other players who may have been mixing with those already showing symptoms. Safety of the players....

It's only a month since Portugal stopped making face masks compulsory in streets. I'm surprised they've allowed the game to go on.

It looks like Portuguese football Rules of competition doesn't have a Rule (law) 18.

Absolute disgrace that a professional level game has been made to go ahead when one of the sides can't field a full team, especially given the circumstances! 🤬

The worst thing is I suspect they will have to come back and play the remainder of the game at 7-0 down.

The worst thing is I suspect they will have to come back and play the remainder of the game at 7-0 down.
You think?
Surely more likely that the points awarded to oppo and further sanctions by the league (fine/points deduction!)

Mine field. Can they add players to the team list ? Most comps don't allow this. Start at 7-0, and abandon 5 minutes later because the team is down to 6.

You think?
Surely more likely that the points awarded to oppo and further sanctions by the league (fine/points deduction!)

Yeah, thinking about it that is usually when the game is abandoned due to weather or the referee is incorrect in law. Hopefully here they use common sense.

So it turns out the whole of Portugal have 13 cases of this new Omicron virus.....
And all 13 belong in the Belenenses camp.
Looks like one of their SA players came back from international duty and brought it with them.

Benfica and Belenenses are furious with the league for allowing it to play whilst the league claim no formal request was submitted to cancel the game.

Don't these games have a league representative at each one? Surely one could see that a team naming 9 players would be a cause for concern.

So it turns out the whole of Portugal have 13 cases of this new Omicron virus.....
And all 13 belong in the Belenenses camp.
Looks like one of their SA players came back from international duty and brought it with them.

Benfica and Belenenses are furious with the league for allowing it to play whilst the league claim no formal request was submitted to cancel the game.

Don't these games have a league representative at each one? Surely one could see that a team naming 9 players would be a cause for concern.

Yes, looks as though there has been a massive own goal by someone here, there are going to be questions that need answering, especially if Benfica players go down with the variant virus. 13 cases in a single club has to be at least close to being a record, especially if all from one player back from SA, it is going to have the governments and football authorities on very high alert.

Back