A&H

Bel v Svk

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Thought the 2nd equaliser was a harsh one to disallow.
Was his touching the ball that far out, after being manhandled by the Slovakian, leading directly to a goal. He still had a bit of work to do.
Also, did he deliberately touch it, was it unnaturally to have his hand up like that following being manhandled...
I'm more confused about handball than ever before.

A&H International
I think it's a definite handball offence. He tried to disguise it well but he knew what he was doing.
Whether or not a goal was scored directly following the offence is another matter ... :hmmm:

He controls the ball with that touch. Ignoring ITV punditry (Lescott with the “never played the game” comment), the defender has a strong argument that had it not touched the hand of the attacker, he’d have had a chance to clear it.

Won’t please everyone I know, but the thing that sways it for me is the change in the direction of the ball.

Dunno who the FIFA Ref is on ITV (Christina.... didn't catch the surname), but she wipes the floor with Peter Walton and Mike Dean in terms of her explanation of why HB was given. Very clear, entirely up to date knowledge of the very latest interpretation of the Law etc with the ability to communicate effectively without watering down the language into some terrible diatribe

Not that I agree with IFAB's moronic 'interpretation'. Completely accidental and just pure bad luck to meet IFAB's criteria for the 'unnatural position bollox.
But we want more Christina and she convinced me in 20 seconds that the 'decision' was entirely correct

Last edited:
I couldn't disagree more TBH
His arm motion is entirely a function of grappling but hey ho. Correct decision. Just got off the phone to Christina
Nah. Little flick and a brush of the fingers just stops the ball going across him and helps keep it his side. Subtly done but still cheating.
Well judged VAR. :)

The Belgians reffed out of it by the self fulfilling prophecy that is the Snick-o-meter!

Of all the things we could have taken from cricket: er… the free lunches.. er long walks.. er counting nuts… er… the aqueducts… no er.. and we get the ruddy Snick-o-meter!

I think it's a definite handball offence. He tried to disguise it well but he knew what he was doing.
Whether or not a goal was scored directly following the offence is another matter ... :hmmm:
I agree it's a definite handball offence. That's not an arm position that's justified by the body movement being undertaken. And the offence most certainly takes place in the relevant APP (attacking phase of play).

In other news, cracking non flag to correctly allow the Slovak goal. One of those that, in real time, looked nailed on to be offside.

One thing that can make life difficult for we referees who officiate at Sunday Rec games, is that Referees at this level assume they are dealing with athletes who are totally aware of the position of their body at all times. At the level I referee, I would never give a handball in this situation, yet players having seen things like this on TV expect every slight touch to be given.

At the level I referee, I would never give a handball in this situation, yet players having seen things like this on TV expect every slight touch to be given.
unfortunately, the way the game is going any hand contact will be a free-kick; same as in hockey where any foot contact is a free-hit. I don't agree, but this is what TV and VAR are bring to the game.

The ball was going across his body and would eventually go across the defenders.

He touched the ball with his hand which stopped the ball going to the defender. Therefore allowing him to dribble and put the cross in.

If he doesn't reach out and tip the ball, it goes to the defender. Who would likely shield it as it goes to the keeper.

I don't get what people aren't seeing here.

1000013898.png

Are they using the SAOT ball chip there? Interesting use of the tech there, never considered that they would use it for anything other than Offside.

Haven't seen the clip so no opinion on whether its handball, or no.

Last edited:
Pack the game up and go home if that was a handball today in the Belgium Slovakia game. Absolutely ridiculous if this is what football is going to be from now on. Both players pushing and shoving, a slight flick of the fingers, no impact on the trajectory of the ball or play.

A disgrace to rule a goal out based on that.

And even if it was deliberate how far are we going to go back now? At what point are people going to say enough is enough. Why not give a FK to Belgium because the Slovakian defender pushes the Belgium bloke. I mean, come on. It's going to resemble gridiron soon.

The ball was going across his body and would eventually go across the defenders.

He touched the ball with his hand which stopped the ball going to the defender. Therefore allowing him to dribble and put the cross in.

If he doesn't reach out and tip the ball, it goes to the defender. Who would likely shield it as it goes to the keeper.

I don't get what people aren't seeing here.

View attachment 7361

none of that is a consideration for handball. perhaps it should be or could be, but it isnt

Two players jostling for the ball in my view. You can't do that and keep your hands by your side, so it's a natural position for the action being carried out
Agreed
therefore no handball for me.
Unfortunately, this is not correct as far as IFAB are concerned

Every hand/arm position is natural IMO, except for when it's deliberate HB. I'd initially thought that 'natural position' was kinda an interpretation of deliberate, but it hasn't turned out that way. It's just a way of being non-subjective in determining HB
The 'natural position' thing just hasn't worked in the end. It makes it easier for us to referee, because we just need to see the hand/arm at shoulder height or above and we're done. But it has nowt to do with
natural position for the action being carried out

Refs must be working to some more shoddy UEFA positional instruction cos they're all ahead of the play near the PA and getting in the way
Again, left to their own devices, I can't believe they're all that bad
I'd be jeopardizing L4 promotion with the frequency of dopped balls in bad areas

Last edited:
Back