A&H

Open Age "Because he's biased"

Justylove

RefChat Addict
Had a game today orange v whites. Whites ended up winning 3-2 and were the better team, but boy were they niggly. 4 in the book and all from the whites.

The CAR from the whites team was not very good, and there were a few obvious offside decisions I overruled where he put his flag up and the attacker was clearly not offside.

Mid way through the second half, after the second time I overruled him one of the whites asked 'why did you not give that?' To which one of his team mates said "because he's biased"

Ball was in play so I waited until it went out and cautioned the one who made the biased comment for dissent. Kind of felt it was a coin toss between a yellow for dissent and a red for OFFINABUS, just wondered what the general feeling is on here, red or yellow for that comment?

The Referee Store
If a player ever called me biased or a cheat I'd always caution, others may disagree but that language doesn't offend me at all, stick a certain word beginning with F in the sentence though and it's a completely different story

Even saying this myself it sounds silly, but for me, "biased" is a yellow. There again, "cheat" would be a red all day long, and in the middle of a footy pitch there's not really a lot of difference... I guess "cheat" just implies more foul play, to me at least.

Simple really:
'Cheat' means willfully breaking the LOTG to give one side an advantage.
'Biased' means being more lenient with one side over another.

So, cheating would be allowing one team to kick their opponents, or disallowing ay goal one team scores for no reason, but knowing you are doing it for no reason.
Being biased means allowing play to carry on when one team fouls, or booking one team for whatever and not the other for the same offence.

Being called a 'cheat' is far more offensive in my book, than being 'biased'.

Yellow

I was called "biased" yesterday by a blue player - ball in play, blue attacking ... Didn't wait for the ball to go out of play - I stopped play and awarded an IDFK to the opposition where the player was when he said it

Always a popular thing to do - but - correct in law :)

On the general theme of yellow or red for "cheat" type comments - for me - it depends how they say it ... 2 examples :
  • Yell it from 20 yards for everyone else to hear = red
  • Say it calmly in conversation / calm voice next to me = yellow

I'm frequently amused by the implication of a player that I, a referee from fifty or so miles away, give two hoots about the results of club I've never heard of, or been to before, and probably couldn't have found on a map before that morning.

Sometimes I point that out.

i'd red card as i'd find it insulting to be accused of either cheating or bias

only time it has happened was in my pre-qualified refereeing days.

friendly tournament, awarded a goal, back to the centre for kick off, under 14 from the team who had just conceded stood there with his arms crossed and said, 'you're biased, ref'

spoke to his coach, told him what he'd said and said take him off or i'll send him off

sorted

Agree with the above. Cheat is a straight red. Being called biased (or similar) will result in them being called over and asked directly to explain the comment in front of their captain. It's going to end up as dissent. However...

Was once asked how much I was being paid by opposing team when a corner decision went against a defender. Called him over, asked him to clarify what he meant. I was expecting him to back pedal. He was dumb enough to say you are a cheat. His captain shakes his head and walks away as I go to the back pocket.

thinking about it, why i wouldn't go down the dissent/caution route is that, to my mind, at least, dissent is about a player's disagreement about a specific decision, i.e. one decision, one act of dissent, one caution whereas accusing a referee of bias implies that a referee is consistently acting in an unfair manner towards one team or the other

which is why pellegrini should get hammered by fifa for his comments about the referee after the barca debarcle

I had a 13 year old girl say I was biased I nearly ended up giving her a red because her refused to give me her name but to save the acgerney I goes over to manager who also be a pain in the arse and she gives me her name and it was all over a teenage strop but anyone saying the c word the only thing they will be doing for rest of match will be sitting on the touchline

Thanks all. I think I got the right decision based on the feedback on here. It was one of those that actually I could have gone either way on and given either a red or a yellow for.

Player who said it ended up being subbed 5 minutes later, so didn't have any more issues with him!

"Are there 2 teams out here today ref?"......."Have you got a left arm that points our way Ref?"......."He probably drove their minibus down here"....."We're playing against 12 of them lads"

Is he just a)being a PITA and showing dissent or is he b) suggesting that you're deliberately cheating?

a = Yellow card
b = Red card

YOU decide, on your field of play, at the time, on the day. As there is no other answer, there's no other outcome either, this player needs to be dealt with.

Unless he said them one after the other in quick succession, he'd never have reached four on my pitch

Had to google PITA, by the way, but now I'm a little bit smarter :)

As always it comes down to how things are said.

I had 2 incidents in a game, one got a strong word the other a yellow.

1) ohh f**k off ref
2) how can you not give that, that's the third time!

The first incident was clear frustration, it had no malice in it and it was said in a normal tone of voice. The second the player ran at me from 20 yards away, his eyes bulging and then screamed it in my face from about a foot away.

My point, tone and context are often the deciding factors in how you sanction the player, rather than the words.

Just examples Haywain, he'd only perm maybe 2 from the 4 directed at me in reality.

Justylove is right and makes probably the most valid point, it's not just what is said, it's the manner and method in which it is delivered than normally tips the scales, but in your face is not acceptable, that's a yellow for me in 2 above.

If I hear that shouted once from any distance at my appointed Assistants as described in 2 above, then it's usually a yellow card without my colleague even asking, it's unfair to allow a colleague to try to judge my tolerance level under pressure, with 1 yard x 50 and nowhere to hide (I can always run away in the middle!!) Players soon catch on that it's not a good idea, plus I know I'll need my colleagues to get me out of jail at some crucial point, protecting them keeps them sweet on that front! haha

As for 1, Mmmm, back to Public, Personal, Provocative again in my mind, should he perm any 2 from the 3, he goes off.

Back