A&H

Basic Referee Course

declanauston

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I have my basic referee course coming up on the 1st and 2nd of Feb, and had a few questions about it, if anyone could help that'll be great.

- What should I be doing in preperation for the two days?
- What should I take with me on the two days?
- How fit do I need to be?

Again, apologies if I've asked this in the wrong place, I'm really looking forward to getting into refereeing this year and just want to make sure I'm well prepared.

The Referee Store
Hello and welcome - congratulations on taking up the whistle!

Each County FA can run the course slightly differently so it would be worth asking them this question as well. I did mine in Somerset last August.

There wasn't much needed in preparation. Perhaps a skim read of the Laws (there is a very good App that IFAB have created) so that if there are any issues you want clarification on you can raise then and there.
The course should be fairly practical - focussing on match day scenarios.

I needed suitable clothing and football boots to participate in a match (one of the days was very practical and had us playing a match whilst taking turns officiating)
Be mindful of the weather have layers for cold weather and perhaps a change if you get soaked.
Pen and paper to take notes.
Everything else (whistle / cards / linesman flags) ^should^ be provided but worth checking.

Fitness should be fairly relaxed - there's no test

On the day arrive a little early as you can have a chat to people before you get stuck in. I found that helped the day flow.

Hello and welcome - congratulations on taking up the whistle!

Each County FA can run the course slightly differently so it would be worth asking them this question as well. I did mine in Somerset last August.

There wasn't much needed in preparation. Perhaps a skim read of the Laws (there is a very good App that IFAB have created) so that if there are any issues you want clarification on you can raise then and there.
The course should be fairly practical - focussing on match day scenarios.

I needed suitable clothing and football boots to participate in a match (one of the days was very practical and had us playing a match whilst taking turns officiating)
Be mindful of the weather have layers for cold weather and perhaps a change if you get soaked.
Pen and paper to take notes.
Everything else (whistle / cards / linesman flags) ^should^ be provided but worth checking.

Fitness should be fairly relaxed - there's no test

On the day arrive a little early as you can have a chat to people before you get stuck in. I found that helped the day flow.

Thank you for this :) I've just gave my local FA an email asking for some details, can't wait to get started :)

As afronaut81 said each FA will be different but mine was this:

Day 1 - They'll show give you match scenarios, pens, free kicks, mass confrontation etc... and show you the signals you should be doing (both ref and line).

Day 2 - All we did was play matches, taking it in turns to ref. The instructor would go around to someone and say "foul him", "Shout at the ref next decision he makes" etc... general stuff that will happen, just to see how the ref would react. You'll then get some feedback off the instructor.

Don't worry he's not gonna go "TELL THE REF TO F OFF" or "BREAK HIS LEGS".

As for what you'll need take a notepad and 2 pens (always have a spare), I can't actually remember if I brought my own whistle or got given one. Take a pair of football boots and trainers. Wear general football gear I'd say so undershirts, football shirt and hoodie / tracksuit. While I'm on that if you have any I'd take shinpads.

You don't need to be that fit just enough to not stand out for the wrong reason, if you're generally fit or play any sort of football you'll be fine.

Last but not least take lunch. Nothing worse than being hungry.

Enjoy it, I'm sure you'll do fine.

Back