A&H

Barrow vs Swindon

Joshref

RefChat Addict

Not much debate about the stonewall penalties, they looked pretty stonewall to me. Genuinely couldn’t believe the reaction of the Swindon team after the match (final 10 seconds of this vid are best video I could find) especially the coach who came sprinting over to the referee and started screaming at him. His post match comments suggest he strongly disagreed with the penalties, but it was just the post match reaction that shocked me. Especially when the decisions seemed so obvious. Do you reckon there’ll be any consequences for this?

A&H International
Suppose the defender failed to run like a penguin (if penguins can run) for the HB... and 'HE GOT THE BALL REF' with the lunge
I can understand why non-Refs would be unhappy with both decisions. Most refs would support both decisions however (more so the 2nd one)
That's the way the cookie crumbles

Both pretty clear penalties for me. You can't have your hands up like that, and have to say the referee's position was as good as you will ever see. Second one he has lunged and took the player, whether he got a bit of the ball as well isn't really here nor there.

Coach could be in trouble, but we don't know how long it went on for or whether the referee reports it.

Handball I am good for a pen. I am also ok for no pen. It's similar to this we voted on and it was half half as well. Thread 'Long armpit' https://refchat.co.uk/threads/long-armpit.17178/

The tackle, again I won't lose sleep either way. He has clearly got there first and played the ball. I know that alone doesn't mean foul or not but it is a factor for me to decide if he tripped the attacker or the attacker tripped himself over him given he could see the defender is getting there first.

Coach's actions is inexcusable.

Yes I know still image is not everything. This is just to show he got there first and played it (which also doesn't mean everything.
Screenshot_20211216-092703__01.jpg

Yes I know still image is not everything. This is just to show he got there first and played it (which also doesn't mean everything.

Also shows he has led with both feet, so the outcome for him could have been much worse.

Also shows he has led with both feet, so the outcome for him could have been much worse.
Could have been but wasn't. That's why I am ok with pen.

Also noteworthy if the ball got trapped in the defender's legs or bounced in the other direction (same defender action) very few referees would give a pen.

Within the 'new' sanctions for coaches, the red and yellow card offences are very clearly spelled out (and worth rereading if you don't know them!). One of the red card offences relates to team officials confronting referees on the FOP at half time / full time. Much like with player disagreement / dissent the dividing line between what's acceptable and what tips over to a sanction is not explicit. However, for me, the coach's actions in this video are almost the definition of 'confronting' and I'd hope we would all be taking the appropriate action in our game ....

on one look, both are pks and, whoever it was who runs on to get to the ref needs a red flashed in the air

as Russell says above, its a red card. Sadly ( at all levels) we see a reluctance to issue a red here. Absolutely no idea why, esp as a lot of referees drive home bemoaning the conduct of the coaches...

we have the tools, use them

on one look, both are pks and, whoever it was who runs on to get to the ref needs a red flashed in the air

as Russell says above, its a red card. Sadly ( at all levels) we see a reluctance to issue a red here. Absolutely no idea why, esp as a lot of referees drive home bemoaning the conduct of the coaches...

we have the tools, use them
Like I pointed out, These are typical of decisions that cause consternation between Refs and the wider footy community. They're both PKs from our perspective, but they're both gonna cause us grief

Within the 'new' sanctions for coaches, the red and yellow card offences are very clearly spelled out (and worth rereading if you don't know them!). One of the red card offences relates to team officials confronting referees on the FOP at half time / full time. Much like with player disagreement / dissent the dividing line between what's acceptable and what tips over to a sanction is not explicit. However, for me, the coach's actions in this video are almost the definition of 'confronting' and I'd hope we would all be taking the appropriate action in our game ....
So true, said this before in relation incidents even higher up the food chain.

I get, but don't necessarily agree, with the 'managing the event' argument but when the 'event' is over, there's nothing to 'manage', just give the guy a red and maybe, just maybe, he might think about not doing it again.

So true, said this before in relation incidents even higher up the food chain.

I get, but don't necessarily agree, with the 'managing the event' argument but when the 'event' is over, there's nothing to 'manage', just give the guy a red and maybe, just maybe, he might think about not doing it again.

exactly this, I have no idea of the referees game other than the two pens, as Rusty says, the first of which he is brilliantly positioned , but thats a missed red card at the end, totally killing the referee. Soon as you are aware coach is storming on, you are instantly going min yellow, its a case here of either coach is goimg down, or, you are. Lets not let it be us

Back