A&H

Barca V PSG

Josh the referee

Level 7 Referee
I don't even know where to start 🤣

For me the sending off is nailed on, and there's no debate about that. It ticks all criterion for a DOGSO.

I didn't see what happened with Xavi (I know he got sent off) but he was on the pitch at the end of the game confronting the referee, surely he's gotta be charged for that too?

The Referee Store
Referee was very liberal with the cards.
Was cautioning anything that moved. The end of his tournament?
For me In just not sure the contact was enough for a penalty. Looks like the player feels the contact and dives IMO.

He got everything important right but he will never ref Barca again just like Oliver with Juventus or Makkelie with PSG.

I don't even know where to start 🤣

For me the sending off is nailed on, and there's no debate about that. It ticks all criterion for a DOGSO.

I didn't see what happened with Xavi (I know he got sent off) but he was on the pitch at the end of the game confronting the referee, surely he's gotta be charged for that too?
Xavi kicked out at the protective coverings around the TV camera between the technical areas. I wasn't sure it was a mandatory red card personally, he could have got away with a caution. Don't know what the regulations are in the Champions League, it may be that managers who have been sent off can go onto the pitch at the end of the game. Don't think it looked good with the referee arguing with the manager though.

Difficult to fault Istvan Kovacs as he got the penalty and red card correct, but I've always thought he is good in normal games but can look nervous and panicked in tense games. Including managers he has ended up with 9 cautions and 3 red cards, and to me that felt well out of kilter with the game he was refereeing. The caution for Marquinhos was really poor, it wasn't even a foul and certainly wasn't a caution. I can't really put my finger on it, but there's just something about him that doesn't inspire confidence.

He got everything important right but he will never ref Barca again just like Oliver with Juventus or Makkelie with PSG.
Which stinks. Basically, if you're brave and willing to make a big call you won't referee a team. I wish assignors would basically tell teams to pound sand when something like this happens. The only thing that happens is referees have an incentive to not make a big call against a team.

Which stinks. Basically, if you're brave and willing to make a big call you won't referee a team. I wish assignors would basically tell teams to pound sand when something like this happens. The only thing that happens is referees have an incentive to not make a big call against a team.

What's 'pound sand' mean?

I think it must be an American saying but I would guess it means basically he wishes referee appointers would tell teams that they're wasting their time if they ask for a referee to not referee them again.
Yup. It’s an expression here. Not sure where it came from, but my guess was from beach disputes telling someone to stomp away angrily—nothing to do but pound the sand as they walk away.

What's 'pound sand' mean?
Google is your friend.

"The phrase implies that they're better off doing something stupid than bothering you. It expresses an additional level of disdain and contempt than by just saying, “go away!”

According to some, it has a military origin.

"Pounding sand (or ground)" equates to marching, so you are telling the other person to "Go away."

Back