A&H

Ball to hand

DaveMac

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
During a break between my two games at the weekend I started watching another for about 15 minutes.

In the space of about 3 minutes the defending teams left back had 4 shouts of hand ball against him. One clear chest, another two were the ball bouncing up and hitting his hand, totally ball to hand and last was him cheating it suspiciously close to his shoulder. The ref didn't give any, which I agreed with. Then the attacker breaks passed the same left back and the ball bounces up and hits the striker on the hand, but he's through on goal. Seemed again to be ball to hand but the ref blew for a free kick. Causing a bit of a stink having waved away so many hand ball claims before.

Personally I think it was the right call as the defending ones would have been very harsh free kick / penalties to give. But as the striker was through on goal I can see why it was given.

What is everyone else's opinion? Does the result of blowing for a handball have an influence on whether you'd give it or not?

The Referee Store
Nope.

Rarely give any handball as 99% of the claims for handball are totally incorrect in law i.e. they are not deliberate hand to ball........

Unfortunately players are suckered into false beliefs by the ridiculous handball decisions given by our Select Group colleagues and the inane prattling of TV commentators or self styled "experts"!

During a break between my two games at the weekend I started watching another for about 15 minutes.

In the space of about 3 minutes the defending teams left back had 4 shouts of hand ball against him. One clear chest, another two were the ball bouncing up and hitting his hand, totally ball to hand and last was him cheating it suspiciously close to his shoulder. The ref didn't give any, which I agreed with. Then the attacker breaks passed the same left back and the ball bounces up and hits the striker on the hand, but he's through on goal. Seemed again to be ball to hand but the ref blew for a free kick. Causing a bit of a stink having waved away so many hand ball claims before.

Personally I think it was the right call as the defending ones would have been very harsh free kick / penalties to give. But as the striker was through on goal I can see why it was given.

What is everyone else's opinion? Does the result of blowing for a handball have an influence on whether you'd give it or not?

It it's a handball when the striker is through in on goal, then it's a handball when the left back does it in his penalty area. If not, then neither are handballs.

Handball. Minefield.

Does the result of blowing for a handball have an influence on whether you'd give it or not?

I guess if I am blowing for handball then I am giving it?!?!?! Am I reading that right? :D

Yeah that's a cowardly decision to not make a decision just because people won't like it.

Arm away from the body, looking at the ball, more than 2 yards away = handball.

Not in the silohette of the body / normal position of arm by the side, can see it coming, got time to move it, effects the tradjectory of the ball and thus play.

Arm in / pulling it in, looking away or closer = not getting it.

Back