A&H

Back pass violation?

LC1996

Yesterday I had an incident where the defending team played a bad back pass which forced the keeper to save it with his hands, I played the advantage because the save rebounded straight to an attacking player which he then scored from. I think I was correct to apply the advantage and no one from either team questioned the decision.

What I was really wondering though is that if the keeper had just saved it with his hands and it had gone out for a corner for example should I award an IDFK for the keeper handling the back pass?

The Referee Store
What I was really wondering though is that if the keeper had just saved it with his hands and it had gone out for a corner for example should I award an IDFK for the keeper handling the back pass?
So long as you still considered it to be a deliberate kick by a player to their goalkeeper you could - and it would be hard to say that you were technically incorrect to do so. However I have seen this happen in a number of televised matches where the referees have given the corner rather than an IDFK. The only rationale I can think of for this, is that the referee is saying that although this was a deliberate kick, it was not actually to the keeper if the keeper had to make a diving save just in order to reach it. I'm not convinced that argument is totally incontrovertible though, so as I say, I think you could give an IDFK if you judged it be one.

Back