A&H

Attempt to trip

The Referee Store
Wow! That's a big decision by the referee, but as you say in the article, you can definitely make an argument that he might not have lost the ball if not for that slight contact. And also, it's definitely fair to say that if he had fallen over, a caution for simulation would have been harsh.

Last edited:
I have in the past when it became obvious that the sweeping leg of the defender caused the attacker to take evasive action meaning he lost his balance and possession of the ball.

Would you give a penalty kick if there's an attempt to trip the opponent?

From the good book:

Fouls and misconduct are penalised as follows:
Direct free kick
A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
• trips or attempts to trip an opponent

Since a direct free kick inside the penalty area is a penalty...... the answer to your question must be "yes". :)

From the good book:

Fouls and misconduct are penalised as follows:
Direct free kick
A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
• trips or attempts to trip an opponent

Since a direct free kick inside the penalty area is a penalty...... the answer to your question must be "yes". :)
;) The question should really be, would you give/ have you given a penalty for an incident similar to the one in the video?

Would you give a penalty kick if there's an attempt to trip the opponent? Interesting piece by Paul Rejer on the website of the US PRO referees http://ow.ly/10bXwG
Would you? shouldn't even be a question.
Currently, an attempt to trip, or a bit of a bump from behind or a little shirt pull that doesn't completely stop the attacker but causes them to lose the ball rarely results in a penalty kick. This only encourages players to take a dive in the box - the way the game is refereed, if you feel a bump, you'd almost be stupid not to fall over. Attackers are actively punished for doing the right thing and staying on their feet.

But what we're looking for is impact on play. Personally I'm not convinced the outcome would have been any different without the contact, so I don't see an impact upon play, so no foul for me. But if you think he would have had a fair chance at the ball and the attempted trip takes that away, then 100% a penalty and we need to see more of it.

Sometimes even when there's no contact, having to jump over the leg of an opponent can result in losing the ball - or simply the delay allows a covering defender to get into a better position. the former should definitely still be a penalty. The latter is a bit tougher

Sometimes even when there's no contact, having to jump over the leg of an opponent can result in losing the ball - or simply the delay allows a covering defender to get into a better position. the former should definitely still be a penalty. The latter is a bit tougher

Sorry mate, but that's just simply not true.
The LOTG are quite specific in that.

Every player has his right to the space which he naturally occupies on the pitch. The fact that somebody chooses to run into you or runs into a space occupied by your outstretched leg/hip etc at that precise moment is of no consequence. That's why the laws of the game (fouls and misconduct) say what they say..... ;)

Well, when I said 'jumping over the leg of an opponent' I figured it was implied that that was the result of a missed tackle by an opponent.
Never hurts to pick up on those points on here in case things get misread. Fortunately I know that was your whole intention and you wouldn't dream of trying to one-up me ;-) :cool::D:D

Back