A&H

At a goal kick an attacking player is inside the area and is retreating. The goal kick is taken quickly...

newref

At a goal kick an attacking player is inside the area and is retreating. The goal kick is taken quickly inside the penalty area to a team mate. Once the goal kick is taken the attacker then decides to go towards the ball and make a tackle. The attacker is successful in doing so. Is this an infringement or is the attacker allowed to interfere once the kick has been taken quickly inside the area even the though the attacker was initially in the area when the goal kick was taken?

The Referee Store
At a goal kick an attacking player is inside the area and is retreating. The goal kick is taken quickly inside the penalty area to a team mate. Once the goal kick is taken the attacker then decides to go towards the ball and make a tackle. The attacker is successful in doing so. Is this an infringement or is the attacker allowed to interfere once the kick has been taken quickly inside the area even the though the attacker was initially in the area when the goal kick was taken?
I don't think Law 16 could be any more clear...
"If, when a goal kick is taken, any opponents are inside the penalty area because they did not have time to leave, the referee allows play to continue."

If the attacker is not finished retreating when the kick is taken quickly, they did not have time to leave. No offence, and play on.

The way it was explained at a LoTG meeting I attending at the start of the season was that if the attacker is making no effort to interfere (i.e. he is facing away from goal and then reacts to the kick being taken) then it's fine and a consequence of the goalkeeper not waiting for him to leave the area.

David Ellery replied to me when the law was introduced and he advised that in essence it was the same as a quick FK.
If the player is not actively engaging with the restart then play on. If they are clearly looking to intercept before it is played then penalise it.

Back