A&H

Assisting done right - breaking up a confrontation

CapnBloodbeard

RefChat Addict
Came across this one by accident.

I just think that AR did a fantastic job here coming onto the field to prevent things escalating. Tried to go back to his line, but then returned. Probably should have kept his hands off the keeper, but aside from that, just want to remind others that this is definitely something you can do as an AR - especially if the ball is out of play and it's happening behind the ref's back. It seems that he figured the keeper in particular needed to be kept out of it.

As for the referee? Penalty whistle was weak - too short, and NFI what he's using but it sounds terrible. Arm should be angled downwards as well.
No idea why it took him so long to get to the confrontation. Give him the benefit of the doubt there.
If it's happening behind his back then the near AR needs to give him a shout and point it out.

The fact that he strolled over to it is quite poor though. a quick toot of the whistle...fortunately the players were very quick to deescalate themselves, I think he'd struggle if it really kicked off.

My only criticism of the AR was that when he steered the keeper away he turned his back to the confrontation - he needed to check back on that once the keeper was away. For some reason he was looking at the near sideline when it kicked off - he missed the cheeky knee by the green player and the shove by black 19.

Personally I think the keeper, that green player (stubble and white undershirt) and black 19 all needed bookings. No idea if any were given. Keeper didn't do much physical, but he's come 50 yards out of his box and is clearly one of the instigators.

Undershirt law is ignored, but some regions still ignore this at some levels, I'm guessing. (goalscorer had grey skins too, few others with underclothes).

One positive for the referee - when he awarded the penalty he turned and put all the players in front of him. That's a really good thing to do (move past the mob first) - though I'd love to know what he was doing when the middle kicked off; was he involved with another player, or just disinterested? We'll never know so he gets the benefit of the doubt.

Anyway, just thought the AR provided an interesting discussion point here.

The Referee Store
Agree, full marks to AR, proactive, brave some would say, and, non confrontational, just a presence, making himself a barrier between GK and the others.

Ref well, we dont know if AR was buzzing, or even if other AR was shouting or so on, but based on the clip alone, yes, far too slow to arrive on the scene and then, to stand there with a feeble blow of whistle, other than acting a witness, does not really achieve anything.

As for whistle at the PK, its exact that tone the next generation of UEFA refs (where I am anyway) are being taught, clear incident, just short sharp blast is all that is needed, am 100% fine with his whistle for the pk, BUT, am more interested in comparing his whistle used to signify the pen can be taken with the whistle blast used to try to defuse the flare up...night and day between the two.

Undergarments, 1% concern here, we have bigger fish to fry, again this may vary from place to place

ref was a bit central at the start of the move, it was clear reading the play watching the clip first time that the ball was going to the left winger, the ref even steps back centrally, instead of to side to get an angle, but, credit, he was in a great place to call the pen and it was so clear that a gigantic whistle is not needed. Note as well, unless its out of shot, nobody complains with the pen call. So, no need really for an prolonged major whistle blast.

You could caution both 19s, I be looking for the ref to be there by then though, so am not faulting the AR for his lack of advice here, and the gk, yes, could caution, I would def be warning him at very least.
Coaching here, is, get the player(s) who started it (gk) then a minimum of one from each team (both 19s), as we know this does not always happen though.

good clip yes !!

Last edited:
Reminds me of some of the f’wits I used to do on my own... I’m all in a cold sweat remembering 😂

You have already covered this... but I am actually disappointed with the AR. This is one area I feel confident talking about as I’ve AR’d in some nutty games and had to intervene, and I’m always watching fot it.

If you decide to the pitch to an incident far away (here it’s 35-40m) show some urgency, your presence doesn’t end until the whole thing is over, and you must connect with the referee (even with comms you should still end up close, in a triangle etc. but also you are due a chat if you’ve come that far).

It was proactive but nearly active enough for me. Thankfully the players sorted themselves. I’ll guess the ref is well respected hence his calm reaction.

Totally get the above, am guessing that the AR decided to keep things low key, no hassle, trying not to draw attention to too much,
Maybe he just kept things calm and his personality might come across different if he was, more urgent, horses for courses, yes as with any clip things could have been done different but as proactive AR-ing, it was refreshing to see.

interestingly, I thought ref looked a bit nervy and played all his cards on his one peep working, as ever we never know, but, am not convinced he was going to do too much more if it did kick off.

Similarly to a fast break situation as a ref - if you're gonna go, go like the clappers.

Same here, if you're gonna take the flag half way across the pitch, top gear, set phasers to stun, b***s out etc etc...

Never had proper Linos, not sure if they help or not, they do seem to here but a flag is no protection from a steaming player!!!

Never had proper Linos, not sure if they help or not, they do seem to here but a flag is no protection from a steaming player!!!
And a whistle is? A lot of the time. the only protection we've got is the authority of the uniform, that's the same regardless of if you've got a whistle or flag in your hand.

good work from the ar could have walked away from the keeper with a firm stay there when it was about to get a bit nawty but in general good support work

And a whistle is? A lot of the time. the only protection we've got is the authority of the uniform, that's the same regardless of if you've got a whistle or flag in your hand.

Having has 3 separate players swing punches at me I know what your saying, luckily twinkle toes here saw all 3 coming and managed to dodge the bullet, the last one was multiple and all missed....

Back