A&H

Assistant referees FL Div 1/2

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
I thought assistant referees were regionalised in the FL - is this true?

I ask as a FL A/R i know went 326 miles each way to do a game yesterday (they were not a late replacement) and i was surprised.

Any ideas?

A&H International
I thought assistant referees were regionalised in the FL - is this true?

I ask as a FL A/R i know went 326 miles each way to do a game yesterday (they were not a late replacement) and i was surprised.

Any ideas?
Not regionalised.
They work in triangles. 3 refs across 6 Ars. That was my understanding. And expected to travel alone.

Not sure if it still applies, but it used to be a recommended maximum of 120 miles each way for ARs in the EFL. There will always be exceptions though, and what you don't know is where the referee was coming from or going to after the game. They might have family away from their home location, might have been working away last week / next week, etc. MOAS lets all match officials put a temporary address.

Ok. I'm surprised they would go so far. The referee they worked with they have not worked with this season.

Ok. I'm surprised they would go so far. The referee they worked with they have not worked with this season.
Possibly on a temp location for whatever reason. 👍 That or testing willingness to travel for SG 2. 🤷

That or testing willingness to travel for SG 2. 🤷
That that is entirely possible. Don't know if it still happens, but it used to be that for your first few games after being promoted to L4 and L3 they would send you a long way, presumably to test out your commitment. I got to see the Kent and Sussex coasts several times when I first got L3, and my first appointment at L3E was a 4th official at Salisbury on a Tuesday night, that is one hell of a journey from North London.

That that is entirely possible. Don't know if it still happens, but it used to be that for your first few games after being promoted to L4 and L3 they would send you a long way, presumably to test out your commitment. I got to see the Kent and Sussex coasts several times when I first got L3, and my first appointment at L3E was a 4th official at Salisbury on a Tuesday night, that is one hell of a journey from North London.
Hell of a journey from London? Remember two Russians in dark overcoats coming from Moscow to see Salisbury Cathedral? ✈️🌏🕍😁

Thanks for the answers.

How often do the A/Rs get lines? This person only seems to line once or twice a month.

Thanks for the answers.

How often do the A/Rs get lines? This person only seems to line once or twice a month.
That will vary. They may be a police officer or paramedic which will obviously impact how often they are available to referee.
Referees are not full time at this level and as such have to referee around their professional careers

Back