The Ref Stop

Assistant refereeing

The Ref Stop
Do you know the referee?
Just listen carefully to his or her instructions. Remember, you are also a referee, just with a flag, instead of a whistle.

Personally, i find assisting harder than refereeing, you need to keep up with the second last defender, as well as watching the rest of the game. Saying that though, i think i prefer assisting.

Anywho, relax, listen carefully to the referees instruction, maintain plenty of eye contact with the referee, this will help avoid you both signalling differently.

As with refereeing, be confident and smile, the referee will help you through it. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you are unsure about anything

There are some posts on here, with instructions for assistants, have a read of some of those, they may give you an idea of what you can expect

1- Don't be a ball boy!

2- Keep your flag unfurled at all times, and swap hands to keep the flag towards the ref.

3 - Try to stay square on to the pitch as much as possible (you get a better view, and the ref/players get a better view of you!)

2- Keep your flag unfurled at all times, and swap hands to keep the flag towards the ref.

Except when you are within the penalty area; at this time, you move the flag to the hand closest to the goal line so that you can make signals without blocking your view of the rest of the pitch!

relax, enjoy, look the part and it should come together for you.

if the referee is suitably experienced he / she will detect FK's so don't worry too much regarding FK's.
Your challenge in u12 football is likely to be concentration, flag technique and offside judgements.
Good luck!

Back