A&H

Assistant referee hinting yellows and reds

Jed

Got my first game on the line coming up. Just wondering how to hint to the referee a yellow or red when on near side and the Lino has flagged it as a foul.

The Referee Store
Got my first game on the line coming up. Just wondering how to hint to the referee a yellow or red when on near side and the Lino has flagged it as a foul.
They will probably cover this in their pre-match briefing. I know I ask mine for a discreet hand signal touching the shirt pocket if they think YC and shorts for RC. Extent of the flag agitation helps also. If you are unsure, just check with them before the match how you should do this. It may be they won't want help, although I doubt that.

The most usual advice is, as @Gabriel says, touching the 'correct' pocket. However, IMO, players are increasingly wise to this. My preference is to ask my ARs to take a small step onto the pitch to advise a yellow or a big step to advise a red. All that really matters though is that the pre match is clear on this point ... if it's not, ask the question :)

Reactions: Jed
I think most referees are unlikely to want you to signal for a card if you're new to the line or at a non-professional level.

You can always talk about it if the referee is unsure. But all middles I have worked with want to control cautions as part of their match control. If I thought they were wrong 'in law' regarding a caution/dismissal I would call them over and discuss it.

If I seen something that was a dismissal (a strike or something) I wouldn't hold a flag in the air covering my shorts pocket.

Back