A&H

Assistant Referee Flagging For Penalty

JH

RefChat Addict
Just watching some old highlights and it reminded me of the old 'flag across the chest' thing. When and why did they get rid of this and introduce the current method?

The Referee Store
Believe it was an upper English ref thing, never part of the laws and not really used outside English competition. That's as far as I know anyway.

Somebody had to much time on there hands & a wage to justify.

Around my neck of the woods, at grassroots, same signal is used by ARs to let the refferee know "I need to talk to you".

Around my neck of the woods, at grassroots, same signal is used by ARs to let the refferee know "I need to talk to you".

I imagine that's more because most refs don't know proper mechanics?

Not sure what you mean by that. Eye contact is always the first port of call. What you do from there if you don't have comms is really non standard and what works best.

@one Surely raised flag is first movement for 'I want to talk to you'. No idea where refs get half of these signals for that have never been in LOTG. Saw an assistant the other day playing an advantage. Baffling

To want to talk to ref, surely the universal method of raising flag and keeping it raised is preferred, accompanied by shouts of " insert name, come here please" and even using the other hand to indicate, come over.

On off chance ref is still oblivious to this, other AR if tuned in can raise flag, shout then point ref in other direction.

@one Surely raised flag is first movement for 'I want to talk to you'. No idea where refs get half of these signals for that have never been in LOTG. Saw an assistant the other day playing an advantage. Baffling
It's an Australian mechanic - and taught in the Australian LOTG (we used to have some minor additions in the additional advice as well - I remember when 'shirts tucked in' was a requirement in the Australian LOTG but not the FIFA LOTG!
The flag up first usually isn't necessary, but can be used. Personally I think it's great that for once there's a signal that's not 'flag up'.
Incidentally, the PK signal from an AR used to be to conceal the flag behind your legs - the idea being that it's a discrete signal to the referee. There are advantages to that, but disadvantages as well. That's fallen out of flavour for the straight flag in the air now.

To want to talk to ref, surely the universal method of raising flag and keeping it raised is preferred, accompanied by shouts of " insert name, come here please" and even using the other hand to indicate, come over.

On off chance ref is still oblivious to this, other AR if tuned in can raise flag, shout then point ref in other direction.

At the Supply league levels, the standard signal being used when you need to speak with a referee is Flag up and then, when seen by the referee, take an obvious step onto the FOP.

That makes sense too

The important part is raising the flag, as this is the number one sign that the AR needs the referees attention

Not necessarily a requirement in Australia, but given we have an alternate signal it's not really an issue (raise the flag if you have to, but it's not a required part of the signal). Not having an alternate flag signal over there I'd agree that the flag raising is the important part as you really have no other way of attracting attention.
Out of interest, our flag across the chest is at a 45 degree angle, so it's not like this.
Back on topic of penalty signals, watching the video I absolutely hate this mechanic. Flag up then flag across the chest - what's gained from that? Looks a bit ridiculous to me.

Flag up, when there's a whistle and eye contact signal direction then run to the corner.

Back