A&H

Assessment on first ever game!

ChazSizeland

Level 8 Referee
So I had an assessor at my first ever game last week so thought I'd share. Really pleased with the comments, although I'm not naive enough not to realise an assessor would be slightly 'easier' on a brand new referee!
Anyway, here it is:

1. Application of the Laws
Well, this was your first proper 11v11 match. We all have to start somewhere and I felt that you started in a very good place. At this level, I am looking for the basics and I felt that you did far better than that. You recognised misconduct and penalised it well and accurately. The penalty decision was correct and was received with little dissent. I would suggest that you should have cautioned the Wensum #10 for his reckless challenge in the closing minutes of the match. Whilst his challenge was controlled and in the vicinity of the ball, it was made with insufficient regard to his opponents safety. Shortly thereafter, he also kicked the ball away after he was penalised for offside, this type of dissent is also more than worthy of a caution as if it goes unpunished it can lead to a loss of control.
2. Positioning, Fitness & Workrate
I was interested in your comments about a lack of training about positioning in open play and I am sure that my colleagues in the County FA will address this. This is shame as it was apparent that you have the instinct but if steered from the outset it would have been OK. The trick is to keep active play sandwiched between you and your active assistant whilst maintaining a close, but not too close proximity to the play. Remember to use the “diagonal” very loosely but never be a slave to it. During the match, you did maintain good proximity but from a novel selection of angles! Watch other referees, on the TV or live, and see how they use this model and dead ball time to get into position. Your fitness and workrate were fine.
3. Alertness & Awareness
including management of stoppages
Norwich and District League Division 2 is not noted for its flowing play. This makes anticipation very difficult; clairvoyance would be a better skill! So, I will focus on the positives of this section. Your set piece management was excellent. It was controlled, on your terms and the players all knew what and when to expect it. Just remember to go across to the goal side of the defensive wall, so you have a better view.
4. Communications
You had a good bearing and were prepared to vary your message to the players. You demonstrated some variation on whistle tone to reflect you decision and support this with good arm and voice signals. When you warned players this worked well but watch out for the player who suddenly needs to adjust his boots or socks when you speak to him. Make sure that this done on your term, it is not optional for him, so make sure he adjusts his kit after your words of enlightenment!
5. Teamwork
No real problems here so I will not dwell here; other sections are far more important to you. Remember to check them on every attacking through ball and brief them to raise their flag up above their head on horizontally.
6. Advantage
You did not use advantage for the first 40 minutes but then you felt confident enough to give it a go and, by and large, it worked well. You used the correct signals, which was good. When choosing to play advantage, pick carefully. When it is in the attacking third, go for it. In the middle third, think and only go for it if the advantage is clear. In the defensive third, award the free kick every time.
7. Match Control
This is a crucial element of the referee’s game. You started well and confidently but If felt that you did not help yourself but coming across as being a little indecisive with a few key and routine decisions. The opening goal is a good example, as sometimes the players need you to make a swift and clear decision that is utterly sold to them. In the case of a “Geoff Hurst” type goal, you must be absolutely sure that the ball has wholly crossed the goal line, and if you are, then a strong blast on the whistle and voice to let the players know. By coming over as indecisive, it will increase dissent and hamper your credibility. That said, you did establish and maintain a good level of control and the players accepted this.
For a first match, this was very good start. You looked the part and carried yourself well. You made the mistakes that I expected you to make. I think that you have a lot of ability and it would be good to see how your progress. My closing advice would be to join your local RA and get a formal mentor to support you.
Good luck and have confidence in your skills.

Strengths:
Application of Law
Overall Control
Alertness and Awareness

Development Areas:
Positioning & Movement
Communication

The Referee Store
Tell you what, That's a brilliant assessment! Well done on taking the team head on, it takes a lot of guts to do that. As he says verbal dissent you can sort of get away with a little bit but anything like kicking or throwing the ball away then the player has to be cautioned.
Apart from that position/ movement will come with experience - as you say i think it's a problem across a few counties that positioning and movement is taught from the book and that's it.
Again sooner you get into you local RA the better, that's also how you get noticed more so get involved!

That's a very good first assessment, be happy with it! The higher you go, the more different things you'll be picked up on (some of the stuff I'm getting picked up on, you wouldn't dream of telling a newly qualified ref) but that's what refereeing is. Forever improving and developing your game.

A very good start, you should be extremely happy with that. Keep working hard and remember, there's a lot of people out there to help you as needed!

That's a very good first assessment, be happy with it! The higher you go, the more different things you'll be picked up on (some of the stuff I'm getting picked up on, you wouldn't dream of telling a newly qualified ref) but that's what refereeing is. Forever improving and developing your game.

A very good start, you should be extremely happy with that. Keep working hard and remember, there's a lot of people out there to help you as needed!

Yeah, I long for the days of those early assessments sometimes!

That's a brilliant assessment, mate, and I'd use that, if I were you, as a great motivation. You've now got a few areas to improve upon and that should be the primary focus of this season -- surely, you've got no reason to confidence build because you've every reason to already have it.

I'd be happy with that as my first assessment. Hope you're chuffed with it.

DanCohen17, just out of interest, what are you getting picked up on then on your assessments? Thanks

Body shape and position following the award of a direct free kick with the wall in/around the edge of the 18 - that's a favourite to pick 3s & 4s up on at the moment.

Dan, what do they mean by body shape? Also where are they wanting you to be on attacking free kicks? On line with the penalty spot but different distances depending on how far out, but adjusting using the D like a corner?

Back