A&H

Assessing the assessors

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
I had some nice news yesterday. I have been accepted to join assessor training. Of course, hoping to get involved this season (our season should start in June if we are lucky).

I don't remember this question on here before so: assessors, what advice, resources, tips do you have for new assessors?

My background is that I've worked on about 600 games, mostly grassroots, some elite youth football. In 8 years I have worked with a lot of sound assessors, only one or two "strange" cases, and I've made a real effort to take a constructive non-judgemental attitude into every trio - and I've been lucky to work with lots of very good referees. I'm really motivated to help referees just starting. I've read e.g. UK assessor guidance and my local. I'm also interested in any "hidden"resources.

The Referee Store
Start by referring to it as "observing" rather than assessing. 😉

Can't really give any useful tips at this time since your training course will provide all the basics anyway but one thing I will say (to be read in conjunction with my first paragraph) is to always remember that you're there to observe the referee and tick boxes based on what you've seen. It's not about your own personal opinion or about how or what you yourself would have done. 🙂

Welcome to the club Santa. 👍

Start by referring to it as "observing" rather than assessing. 😉

Can't really give any useful tips at this time since your training course will provide all the basics anyway but one thing I will say (to be read in conjunction with my first paragraph) is to always remember that you're there to observe the referee and tick boxes based on what you've seen. It's not about your own personal opinion or about how or what you yourself would have done. 🙂

Welcome to the club Santa. 👍
Ah I'd forgotten that - Assessor also makes it much easier to find e.g. the FA's handbook ;)
And yes, opinions at the door.
I've also noticed that, as a student of refereeing I can get extremely passionate about something mundane (like on here), but I know to watch for that feeling in a feedback environment, and avoid becoming entrenched or dominated by a single point, a meaning or incident.

Reactions: Kes
I had some nice news yesterday. I have been accepted to join assessor training. Of course, hoping to get involved this season (our season should start in June if we are lucky).

I don't remember this question on here before so: assessors, what advice, resources, tips do you have for new assessors?

My background is that I've worked on about 600 games, mostly grassroots, some elite youth football. In 8 years I have worked with a lot of sound assessors, only one or two "strange" cases, and I've made a real effort to take a constructive non-judgemental attitude into every trio - and I've been lucky to work with lots of very good referees. I'm really motivated to help referees just starting. I've read e.g. UK assessor guidance and my local. I'm also interested in any "hidden"resources.
Welcome to the club!
When we complete an observation report, before submitting it, we should be able to say we have offered guidance/advice as to how to improve, we have addressed the key issues (both strengths and development points), and we have overcome any unconscious bias.
The training will cover how to make notes, how to summarise and report back to the referee (on site or currently by phone/Zoom/etc), and how to complete the written report.
Requirements for the report vary by referee level, so concentrate on the issues on which you will be reporting.
Find an observer buddy, and ask them to read through your early reports until you feel confident.

The best advice is to take lots of notes from the match in the first 20 minutes. You don't know what do be important for your report at that time.

Welcome to the club!
When we complete an observation report, before submitting it, we should be able to say we have offered guidance/advice as to how to improve, we have addressed the key issues (both strengths and development points), and we have overcome any unconscious bias.
The training will cover how to make notes, how to summarise and report back to the referee (on site or currently by phone/Zoom/etc), and how to complete the written report.
Requirements for the report vary by referee level, so concentrate on the issues on which you will be reporting.
Find an observer buddy, and ask them to read through your early reports until you feel confident.

improvement
issues
bias

That's a good pointer. I like 3's.

Well, in related news, I've just been through our training material and assessors "should not take part in discussions on matters relating to refereeing, matches or match events in social media."

So, after this weekend, it's gonna be farewell for a while.
Actually it'll be 3pm on Friday, as I will join the boycott to protest at big tech's failure to moderate hate speech content.

So, er, had a look at the stats and I'm stupefied to see I've posted so many times. At least this should give @JamesL the chance to beat me!
Thanks for all the good times. :)

Last edited:
Well, in related news, I've just been through our training material and assessors "should not take part in discussions on matters relating to refereeing, matches or match events in social media."

So, after this weekend, it's gonna be farewell for a while.
Actually it'll be 3pm on Friday, as I will join the boycott to protest at big tech's failure to moderate hate speech content.

So, er, had a look at the states and I'm stupefied to see I've posted so many times. At least this should give @JamesL the chance to beat me!
Thanks for all the good times. :)
Tbf Santa, unless your real name is Kris Kringle, you're fat, have a beard and wear a red suit and turn up to your games on a sleigh driven by 9 magical reindeer with the one at the fronts nose flashing they'll never know it's you 😂
You'll be missed.

Edit:+1 / 634 to go

Back