A&H

Arsenal v Watford

• Thread starter Deleted member 2447
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2447

Was anyone else surprised that Mariappa escaped sanction for his reckless sliding challenge to the ankle of Mkhitaryan (perhaps also not helped by his unwanted help for him to get back on his feet!) ?

The Referee Store
Yes but can see how mr Atkinson and the AR missed it given positioning. Also given the ball was released cleanly and the foul was after that it makes it even more difficult for a referee to see.

I was thinking this is a good shout for VAR to be useful. it’s a clear pen but one that it’s hard to fault the referee for missing in real time.

Mariappa picking him up off the floor - that move always irritates me when I’m refereeing. The problem is the person being picked up usually pushes the player picking them up (or worse). So you’re usually left with having to caution both or neither.

When I watched it in real time it didn't look like an obvious foul. As far as I recall, the first two replay angles were also a little inconclusive. It wasn't until the third slow-motion replay from another different angle that it became clear to me that it was actually a foul. So no, I'm not surprised that the match officials, who only have one chance to see it and only from one angle, missed it.

Back